• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

18. Monkeying Around

There are people who enjoy eating monkey's brain. It is served directly in the skull of a monkey that is still alive or where the cook has just killed it prior to serving. The simian brain begins to shut down a few minutes after the death of the animal giving it a bitter taste. The monkey is usually strapped down rendering it virtually immobile. Using the knife, the skull of the monkey is sliced. The top of the skull is cracked open further to allow easy access for the guest to start eating. The fresh brain is not very strong in flavour and tastes like tofu.

from an internet site I won't dignify by identfying it.

Or so the story goes, with various embelishments. I have several times read that the live monkey sits under the circular table and sticks its head through a hole in the centre to allow the diners access to the cranial delights on offer.

The main problem with the story is that it is utter BS. No one has ever satisfactorily photographed or filmed this practice - YouTube videos are obvious fakes. Any accounts are always third or (3,000th) person anecdotes.

Wikipedia unconvincingly suggests that the legend may have risen due to a mushroom known as 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū - Hericium erinaceus), which means 'monkey head mushroom'. The mushroom is white when fresh but turns brown when dried - the most common way they are sold. Allegedly it looks like a monkey's brain. No! It vaguely looks like a monkey's intact, furry head - hence the name.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh Monkey Head Mushroom

800px-Monkey_head_mushroom.jpg.39b5e8be7

Dried Monkey Head Mushroom

My main problem with that theory is that you would have to be brainless to confuse a mushroom with a brain!

My own theory is that when some westerners came to China they saw tables like this in many restaurants...

1820811961_hotpottable3.thumb.jpg.9080b3895cd6a76a48939471ac9c8ce8.jpg

... and some wag came up with the story to explain why the table has a hole in the centre.

Of course, the hole is to hold a burner for hot pots. These are disappearing rapidly as built-in induction stoves are taking their place.

The story spread as some sort of sick joke or, more often, racist anti-Chinese propoganda.

Note: Eating monkey is illegal in China and attracts a minimum 10 year sentence behind bars for both the restaurant owners and customers.

liuzhou

liuzhou

19. Monkeying Around

There are people who enjoy eating monkey's brain. It is served directly in the skull of a monkey that is still alive or where the cook has just killed it prior to serving. The simian brain begins to shut down a few minutes after the death of the animal giving it a bitter taste. The monkey is usually strapped down rendering it virtually immobile. Using the knife, the skull of the monkey is sliced. The top of the skull is cracked open further to allow easy access for the guest to start eating. The fresh brain is not very strong in flavour and tastes like tofu.

from an internet site I won't dignify by identfying it.

Or so the story goes, with various embelishments. I have several times read that the live monkey sits under the circular table and sticks its head through a hole in the centre to allow the diners access to the cranial delights on offer.

The main problem with the story is that it is utter BS. No one has ever satisfactorily photographed or filmed this practice - YouTube videos are obvious fakes. Any accounts are always third or (3,000th) person anecdotes.

Wikipedia unconvincingly suggests that the legend may have risen due to a mushroom known as 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū - Hericium erinaceus), which means 'monkey head mushroom'. The mushroom is white when fresh but turns brown when dried - the most common way they are sold. Allegedly it looks like a monkey's brain. No! It vaguely looks like a monkey's intact, furry head - hence the name.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh Monkey Head Mushroom

800px-Monkey_head_mushroom.jpg.39b5e8be7

Dried Monkey Head Mushroom

My main problem with that theory is that you would have to be brainless to confuse a mushroom with a brain!

My own theory is that when some westerners came to China they saw tables like this in many restaurants...

1820811961_hotpottable3.thumb.jpg.9080b3895cd6a76a48939471ac9c8ce8.jpg

... and some wag came up with the story to explain why the table has a hole in the centre.

Of course, the hole is to hold a burner for hot pots. These are disappearing rapidly as built-in induction stoves are taking their place.

The story spread as some sort of sick joke or, more often, racist anti-Chinese propoganda.

Note: Eating monkey is illegal in China and attracts a minimum 10 year sentence behind bars for both the restaurant owners and customers.