• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 12/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, Eatmywords said:

For the record our crappy take outs call it Young Chow fried rice.  Is that acceptable or just another offensive lazy American translation? 

I cook the egg first, scrambled w a bit of soy, ribbon/slice, add back at the end.   I've tried the other way and its ruined the dish making it gloppy.  As for sc, never tried oyster (doesn't sound appealing) but soy, ponzu, sweet or non sweet chili sc, fish sc, teriyaki, whatever we're feeling.  For a little kick love the Laoganma (aka Angry Lady) chili oil products.   There's no wrong way at home.

There are several ways to transliterate Chinese. I always use Pinyin, the offical Chinese transliteration as accepted by the United Nations, US Government, International Standards Organisation etc.

You seem to add a number of Japanese and South-East Asian ingredients (ponzu, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki) which is fine, but this is about Chinese food.
Laoganma doesn't mean anything like Angry Lady. Laoganma means Godmother.

liuzhou

liuzhou

33 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

For the record our crappy take outs call it Young Chow fried rice.  Is that acceptable or just another offensive lazy American translation? 

I cook the egg first, scrambled w a bit of soy, ribbon/slice, add back at the end.   I've tried the other way and its ruined the dish making it gloppy.  As for sc, never tried oyster (doesn't sound appealing) but soy, ponzu, sweet or non sweet chili sc, fish sc, teriyaki, whatever we're feeling.  For a little kick love the Laoganma (aka Angry Lady) chili oil products.   There's no wrong way at home.

There are several ways to transliterate Chinese. I always use Pinyin, the offical Chinese transliteration as accepted by the United Nations, US Government, International Standards Organisation etc.

You seem to add a number of Japanese and South-East Asian ingredients (ponzu, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki) which is fine, but this is about Chinese food.

I've never heard of anyone using Laoganma with fried rice and it doesn't mean anything like Angry Lady. Laoganma means Godmother.

liuzhou

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

You seem to add a number of Japanese and South-East Asian ingredients (pomzu, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki) which is fine, but this is about Chinese food.

I've never heard of anyone using Laoganma with fried rice and it doesn't mean anything like Angry Lady. Laoganma means Godmother.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

You seem to add a number of Japanese and South-East Asian ingredients (pomzu, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki) which is fine, but this is about Chinese food.

I've nverheard of anyone using Laoganma with fried rice and it doesn't mean anything like Angry Lady. Laoganma means Godmother