• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/13/2020 at 6:37 AM, Anna N said:

@liuzhoucould you indulge me and address the question of deep-fried egg/spring rolls? I understand they are not Chinese in origin but is there anything approximating them in the Chinese food world?  (They are one of. my favourite “Chinese” foods.)

Egg rolls are American-Chinese, but spring rolls (春卷 - chūn juǎn) do exist in China and are often served as a dim sum in Cantonese restaurants and are popular at Chinese New Year. They are different from what I understand to be the typical American egg roll. They have a much thinner skin and are smaller.

I prefer the Vietnamese ones.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhoucould you indulge me and address the question of deep-fried egg/spring rolls? I understand they are not Chinese in origin but is there anything approximating them in the Chinese food world?  (They are one of. my favourite “Chinese” foods.)

Egg rolls are American-Chinese, but spring rolls (春卷 - chūn juǎn) do exist in China and are often served as a dim sum in Cantonese restaurants and are popular at Chinese New Year. The are different from what I understand to be the typical American egg roll. They have a much thinner skin and are smaller.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Well, thank you folks for all the desriptions of American-Chinese places etc,  but that really wasn't the point of the topic.

Now back to the topic, please.

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Egg rolls are American-Chinese, but spring rolls (春卷 - chūn juǎn) do exist in China and are often served as a dim sum in Cantonese restaurants and are popular at Chinese New Year. The are different from what I understand to be the typical American egg roll. They have a much thinner skin and are smaller.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Well, thank you folks for all the desriptions of American-Chinese places etc,  but that really wasn't the point of the topic.

Now back to the topic, please.

44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Egg rolls are American-Chinese, but spring rolls do exist in China and are often served as a dim sum in Cantonese restaurants and are popular at Chinese New Year. The are different from what I understand to be the typical American egg roll. They have a much thinner skin and are smaller.