• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, shain said:

I'll also point out that I see no wrong in taking ideas and flavors from a cuisine and applying them outside of it, as long as one is aware of the difference between "Chinese" and "Chinese inspired".

I agree. I have no problem with mixing things up. I do it all the time. But I don't pretend my food is German because it has a sausage in it, for example.

Guangxi doesn't really have its own cuisine, but is split in two. Southern Guangxi food is more Cantonese, while the north is more akin to Hunan and Guizhou. Liuzhou is on the cusp of the two, but leans more to the north.

I can recommend Carolyn Phillip's book, All Under Heaven for more on the different regions of Chinese food. She kindly included me in her list of acknowledgements after I made small suggestions regarding the local food in Guangxi.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, shain said:

I'll also point out that I see no wrong in taking ideas and flavors from a cuisine and applying them outside of it, as long as one is aware of the difference between "Chinese" and "Chinese inspired".

I agree. I have no problem with mixing things up. I do it all the time. But I don't pretend my food is German because it has a sausage in it, for example.

Guangxi doesn't really have it's own cuisine, but is split in two. Southern Guangxi food is more Cantonese, while the north is more akin to Hunan and Guizhou. Liuzhou is on the cusp of the two, but leans more to the north.

I can recommend Carolyn Phillip's book, All Under Heaven for more on the different regions of Chinese food. She kindly included me in her list of acknowledgements after I made small suggestions regarding the local food in Guangxi.

liuzhou

liuzhou

45 minutes ago, shain said:

Guangxi doesn't really have it's own cuisine, but is split in two. Southern Guangxi food is more Cantonese, while the north is more akin to Hunan and Guizhou. Liuzou is on the cusp of the two, but leans more to the north.

liuzhou

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, shain said:

Guangxi doesn't really have it's own cuisine, but is split in two. Southern Guangxi food is more Cantonese, while the north is more akin to Hunan and Guizhou. Liuzou is on the cusp of the two, but leans more to the north.

I can recommend Carolyn Phillip's book, All Under Heaven for more in the different regions of Chinese food. She kindly included me in her list of acknowledgements after I made small suggestions regarding the local food in Guangxi.