• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Not To Eat

liuzhou

Recently, post-Covid as we are here, I've noticed a number of these sign posted around town. I don't think I really need to translate.

BH1A1059.thumb.jpg.577f4f8d6b53a27fbe500a28d9ccb1fe.jpg

cu.jpg.ff7f45009f97e5eaab6d351f20c5c05d.jpg

No mention of bats? And why do we get that antelope-like beast three times? And what looks dog-like? All the dog meat restaurants around here are still functioning normally.

At least, they left my favourite snake meat off the list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Maybe that dog-like critter is a hyena or a jackal? Could it be included, like the vulture, because it often eats spoiled meat?   Looks like cannibalism is okay though.    Might be good to know in a pinch,

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

All I worry about here is the bad pizza.

Give me durian pizza! Give me spit roasted panda steaks! Stir-fried monkey brains. Boiled lion. Sautéed crocodile. Stewed spider. Ratatouille with raw rat. Entrails, viscera, droppings.

Just spare me the c@rn!

• Haha 4

And why 2 storks?  I guess, if I had to choose, gun to my head and all, I'd go;   Impala, dog, stork, iguana, lion, monkey, chimp and finally, vulture (no chef in the world can make that appealing)  

That wasn't chicken

6 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

And why 2 storks?  I guess, if I had to choose, gun to my head and all, I'd go;   Impala, dog, stork, iguana, lion, monkey, chimp and finally, vulture (no chef in the world can make that appealing)  

I'd leave the dog (yes, I've eaten it) and the lion to the end. Carnivores never taste good. Except fish and other seafood, for some reason.

I tend to shy away from eating anything that could and would eat me!  Worked out well so far.  The exception may be pigs.  Heard

stories about how some farmer fell while feeding hogs and they ate him before his family even missed him  Hum, they liked him

better than their ration of *orn I guess,  Even those stories won't stop me from eating pork!

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'd leave the dog (yes, I've eaten it) and the lion to the end. Carnivores never taste good. Except fish and other seafood, for some reason.

Really?  I'd think fresh meat trumps rancid.  And since dog has been on the menu for ages figure they must know what to do with it.  No idea on lion.    Which ones get the virility excuse?

That wasn't chicken

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Really?  I'd think fresh meat trumps rancid.  And since dog has been on the menu for ages figure they must know what to do with it.  No idea on lion.    Which ones get the virility excuse?

Most dog restaurants here are exclusively full of (drunken) men and prostitutes, judging by the tart cards littering the places next morning.

I've never seen such behaviour at the lion restaurants!

Interesting, snakes are not banned.

-------------------------

Humans have eaten every single animal imaginable, including insects. Lots of humans still do today. Pandemics seem to be part of nature, they will happen no matter what. Pandemics are part of nature's food chain system. We are dinners for many other organisms.

Demark just eliminated 17 million minks because of covid-19 infection/mutation.

Cats, dogs, tigers, lions all have shown to get covid-19 infections. Do we eliminate them?

Pigs (swine flu), chickens (Asian H7N9) ------ Should we ban eating them?

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, liuzhou said:

No mention of bats? And why do we get that antelope-like beast three times? And what looks dog-like?

To address the multiplicity of some of the animals, it just looks to me like the artist was trying to "fill up his plate". The dog definitely looks like a hyena (maybe he couldn't find a good dog stencil) to me. Are there hyena in China? And why the alligator and the vulture? It was my understanding that the coronaviruses only affected mammals, I may be wrong. I often am. I found this article on animals and the virus and none of them mentioned are on the chart. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html#:~:text=Many studies have been done,become infected with the virus.

Is this a warning to avoid covid or is this just a general health warning, something that should have been done several decades ago. 

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

And why the alligator and the vulture? It was my understanding that the coronaviruses only affected mammals

The poster isn't only coronavirus related.

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

is this just a general health warning, something that should have been done several decades ago. 

It has been done several times over the years. No harm in repeating it!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

The idea of eating any primate fills me with horror.  

Any mention takes me to the Faces of Death scene where they put a small monkey inside the middle of customized table with only it's head sticking out.  Everyone gets a hammer and well, fresh monkey brains for all.  Still haunted.  🙈

• Sad 2

That wasn't chicken

2 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Any mention takes me to the Faces of Death scene where they put a small monkey inside the middle of customized table with only it's head sticking out.  Everyone gets a hammer and well, fresh monkey brains for all.  Still haunted.  🙈

I never saw it, but have been haunted by it nevertheless.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I never saw it, but have been haunted by it nevertheless.  

It's on Youtube (I had to watch it.  I didn't have a choice, ok?!! )  You can tell it was staged so maybe not the worst thing you can't unwatch.  The dialogue is lol funny though.

That wasn't chicken

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Another for the Food Myths topic.

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The idea of eating any primate fills me with horror.  

It is also strictly illegal in China and will get you not less than ten years accommodation in the local slammer.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Also illegal and similar punishment.

I am not sure if @rotutsIs joking but in Canada bear paws are legal fare. Honest

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog