• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

Or this Fiat 500

image.png.6de468b8f21a9e79bc07ed60336e5333.png

• Haha 9

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

A local bakery offers a special pastry each weekend and announces the flavor in an Instagram post on Saturday AM.

Here's today's:

6145BEEA-676A-432A-9E54-D03829860A0E.thumb.jpeg.10ce70c3d8bbbfc054ea94ea47f1fa74.jpeg

Synchronicity: @David Lebovitzmentioned this dessert with anchovy in his April newsletter. At The Anchovy Bar in San FFrancisco

Tamarind-Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with cashew-anchovy-coconut crumble

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Confused 1

339303251_134446159437890_814168060802918810_n.jpg.139e1c2ee777232c2e1eafab73c8c266.jpg

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

340017325_1629310260904641_4919906162978726289_n.jpg.1b847cfdff7e5a3e33bbd856b2d8dfba.jpg

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

339901316_899456047936772_3868325026715019161_n.jpg.b6546469bb2e179cb163843d25472ed6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

341318365_553373436786716_4397142066935315476_n.thumb.jpg.2ee454bea79f8e7544354931e8b59bcd.jpg

• Haha 6

342338808_1957933627879775_5937729162511782710_n.jpg.ecd0c0c95d2fcc7c35f58a49241a37c4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

Precocious Little Shit Reckons This Isn’t Real Carbonara

“At Mitch’s house, his Dad grates fresh Parmesan in a bowl and uses real guanciale instead of whatever this white muck is."

carbonara-768x480.jpg

Laugh if you must, but recently my 9 yo had a sleepover and when the mom of the kid he was visiting asked, what he wanted for breakfast he said “Eggs Benedict, because that’s what we eat at home”*. The mom had to google EB and he got a toast with a fried egg, which he declared “also tasty” …

—-

*Disclaimer: once or twice a quarter, no more …

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

“At Mitch’s house, his Dad grates fresh Parmesan in a bowl and uses real guanciale instead of whatever this white muck is."

That is some scary shit, my friend.  This past week, up in Provincetown, I offered to make a first-course Spaghetti all'amatriciana, at a cookout we were invited to.  Try to find guanciale in P'town! I think I might've been lucky to find this...

70403965669__AD558FE0-C61B-4493-9233-164DE1765F202.thumb.JPG.d8ff170061824ec0e911efe15bb49e4c.JPG

Still came out okay (I mean, no one was any the wiser).  As to that Dolmio Carbonara sauce, this make me want to run in the other direction...quickly!

INGREDIENTS: WATER, THICKENER (MODIFIED CORNSTARCH), BUTTERMILK 5%, VEGETABLE OIL, EGG YOLK 3%, SUGAR, CHEESE POWDER (CONTAINS MILK) 1%, ONION 1%, FLAVOUR (CONTAINS MILK), GARLIC 1%, CLARIFIED BUTTER (CONTAINS MILK), SALT, FOOD ACID (LACTIC), PARMESAN CHEESE (CONTAINS MILK) 0.5%, YEAST EXTRACT, CHIVES.
MAY CONTAIN BUTTERMILK, EGG, CHEESE, MILK.
REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING AND USE WITHIN 3 DAYS
MADE IN AUSTRALIA FROM AT LEAST 80% AUSTRALIAN INGREDIENTS

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Laugh if you must, but recently my 9 yo had a sleepover and when the mom of the kid he was visiting asked, what he wanted for breakfast he said “Eggs Benedict, because that’s what we eat at home”*. The mom had to google EB and he got a toast with a fried egg, which he declared “also tasty” …

—-

*Disclaimer: once or twice a quarter, no more …

That child is being raised correctly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

In Jacques Pepin's 'The Apprentice: My Life...' he describes an incident when his daughter was young and was served asparagus at a friend's house. She wasn't eating it so her friend's mother asked her if she had ever had asparagus before and she replied she was waiting for the hollandaise as that is how it was served at home.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

See - the problem isn't that someone at homes makes a carbonara and uses some god-awful ingredients, or someone makes an Amatriciana and uses American smoked bacon instead on an unsmoked product...the problem is when restaurants do that.  The same problem exists when a restaurant makes a Caesar salad...out of friggin' kale.

(Let's not get started on blank-tinis!)

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

In Jacques Pepin's 'The Apprentice: My Life...' he describes an incident when his daughter was young and was served asparagus at a friend's house. She wasn't eating it so her friend's mother asked her if she had ever had asparagus before and she replied she was waiting for the hollandaise as that is how it was served at home.

I thought you were gonna say Claudine said - the asparagus is always peeled at home!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog