• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This can't possibly be for real.

Having given their website a once-over, I'm pretty sure it is.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If this isn't the right place for this, please move. I couldn't figure out where to post.

I was scrolling on Instagram and came across a photo of a really nice looking tartlett. The recipe was included but in French. So, I hit translation, and this is what it came up with. I don't think I'll be making tart dough this way 🤣. My mom and I are still laughing!

7CBDEF1A-3A6B-46CC-8DCD-C566C9372A78.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 8

On 12/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, kayb said:

FB_IMG_1639090421609.jpg.a74aaf8ced65d4b200ea102da1f78d78.jpg

I love it!   For years we attended the huge antique car show at Hershey, PA.    Everything from fully restored to the zillion rescued parts needed to restore your own or almost build from scratch.   I understood little of what I saw except for things I just thought beautiful.   I always fantasized about buying a dozen  hubcaps  to use for a dazzling dinner party course.    Sensibly, never did.

eGullet member #80.

24 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I love it!   For years we attended the huge antique car show at Hershey, PA.    Everything from fully restored to the zillion rescued parts needed to restore your own or almost build from scratch.   I understood little of what I saw except for things I just thought beautiful.   I always fantasized about buying a dozen  hubcaps  to use for a dazzling dinner party course.    Sensibly, never did.

It would be perfect for a "road food"-themed dinner party, no? :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

It would be perfect for a "road food"-themed dinner party, no? :P

With recipes from Manifold Destiny (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), yes? 

• Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

268449227_1279325079235599_4346190123441900266_n.jpg.3e2eadce08e47446e0e7c0bd0b93970f.jpg

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, heidih said:

nutcracker.jpg

I am reminded of an older friend who used to save unopenable jars for me to address.    I used to take her shopping, and told her to separate items that she would be using immediately and have the checker open them for her.    We were at a Safeway and the male checker was delighted to oblige.   Except he couldn't budge a lid, twisting and torquing, grimacing and finally turning to another checker for help.    With half the front-of-store staff on her case, her jar was finally "ajar".   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

This isn't seasonal, but...

266313917_10159831520951473_8361209932839722949_n.thumb.png.2e0611cadfe2005e481cf359ee743acb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

FHTiuMQWYAU9-rx.jpeg.c3ffae75de01b9f0bc10444a6f220608.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

This is from Dave Barry's 2021 Year in Review:

On the other hand, the Science could not make up its mind about masks, especially in restaurants. Should everybody in the restaurant wear them? Should only the staff wear them? Should people who are standing up wear them, but not people who are sitting down, which would seem to suggest that the virus can also enter our bodies via our butts? We still don’t know, and we can’t wait to find out what the Science will come up with for us next.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is from Dave Barry's 2021 Year in Review:

I almost snorted my tea through my nose when I read this bit:

"The spotlight now shifts to incoming president Joe Biden, who takes the oath of office in front of a festive throng of 25,000 National Guard troops. The national healing begins quickly as Americans, exhausted from years of division and strife, join together in exchanging memes of Bernie Sanders attending the inauguration wearing distinctive mittens and the facial expression of a man having his prostate examined by a hostile sea urchin."

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I almost snorted my tea through my nose when I read this bit:

"The spotlight now shifts to incoming president Joe Biden, who takes the oath of office in front of a festive throng of 25,000 National Guard troops. The national healing begins quickly as Americans, exhausted from years of division and strife, join together in exchanging memes of Bernie Sanders attending the inauguration wearing distinctive mittens and the facial expression of a man having his prostate examined by a hostile sea urchin."

I laughed, then winced. 

• Haha 3

264905043_213762470943587_7367867041626114576_n.png.f902285cb594aa78d0ceee66918bbe3a.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 10