• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

260549500_6906934399347053_7465186259411826360_n.thumb.jpg.27bd9404e834b587c9f989983cdbe8f7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

257880760_10159441190538280_8269251286820654355_n.jpg.eea8baa7b14f2656a1bef6647a4e3ce9.jpg

There is something embarrassingly familiar about this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

259773865_433737411456005_5938986978526081286_n.jpg.064dc7cb8c95f2aa7d7b30a42f824f31.jpg

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have been feeling a little too  saintly  just lately so when I spotted this product description for some sherry vinegar on amazon.ca I  rushed to put in my order. 
“Rich in enzymes and potassium, it helps to maintain a healthy lifestyle by strengthening your demonological system and lowering your blood pressure,”

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I have been feeling a little too  saintly  just lately so when I spotted this product description for some sherry vinegar on amazon.ca I  rushed to put in my order. 
“Rich in enzymes and potassium, it helps to maintain a healthy lifestyle by strengthening your demonological system and lowering your blood pressure,”

After having consulted mr. Google and coming up with this, I have just one request. In six months time would you please put a new picture on Show Yourself so we can see if it works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

May be an image of food and text that says "How to get out of potlucks for the rest of your life"

Reminds me of the song "Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise!" - great fun. The link goes to a YouTube recording of the song.

(Sorry, @rotuts - no idea what that is! Oysters, perhaps?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On another note: today's "Pearls Before Swine" reminds me of some of our conversations here. 😄

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2021/11/30

• Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

253570340_10166653767910377_4476838346434136143_n.thumb.jpg.e686c02dd2ead9765e19392915fd1621.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

OK, so we get a lot of spam here at the forums. And mostly you don't see any of it, because after 20 years on the internet we're pretty good at catching it. Today, however, I'm going to subject you to what might be my favorite so far, I can't read it without literally laughing out loud. I've removed the links for obvious reasons, but this was a submission today from a user calling themselves "Adolfo12" entitled "How to make chicken in frying pan" (and yes, this is 100% of the post, so the lack of a step one, or of an ingredients list, is indeed puzzling):

Ok, the next step is that in order to make your chicken in frying pan, just cut the chicken in half and make your pieces in half. Place the chicken in an empty skillet, add your bread crumbs and cover with a pan of cooking oil.

Open the pan with a spatula and let the chicken soften in the oil at this point.

Next, add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomatoes paste, seasoning and salt to the pan, and let them cook for 5 minutes then add your chicken pieces and stir and cover the pan with a saucepan.

After 5 minutes, turn the heat up to the medium high and stir well, cook 3 minutes and cover the pan with a plate.

Once 2 minutes the chicken has cooked perfectly and is dry.

Put in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven, let it cool for about 5 minutes and open it, then cook your chicken in another pan until you will end up with chicken cooked to perfection. Remove the pot, a breadpan or frying pan, wrap the pan with aluminum foil and let it cool. Set the pan in the fridge or the freezer and use it to make chicken in frying pan for cooking healthy chicken at home.

I highly recommend doing this with cauliflower because it's the perfect dish for me to cook or also any other vegetables if you serve it with vegetables it's still gluten free, so you don't have to worry about anything.

Watch the video below! Just be sure to watch and turn the heat down a little bit, because the oil in chicken may burn if the heat is too high so we'll skip that part, all you have to do is set the pan on the very high level!

Your raw chicken will be cooked within the frying pan by 4-5 minutes, you won't want to add anything else to your pan so if you start adding oil in the pan you won't fry your chicken or only slightly cook it. But remember not too much oil shouldn't heat up, the pan needs to be hot hot for too long it will burst you chicken.

Not all of the oil that you'll be using can make your chicken go colder so you'll want to invest in some pans that will allow you to heat your chicken up and then cook the chicken for longer than 30 minutes.

I'd recommend a pan that does not allow you to spread any oil that it contains, such as oil in a pan that reaches the same level or more, which will allow you to control the amount of heat you put in your pan! These pans should include a large hole to allow the oil to escape.

You may find some chickens and lambs have been kept in special conditions so you may want to set the heat in the pan on that bird or the coat they're wearing. I highly recommend the sun to dry any water that would make them soft (if you have frozen water there is no difference).

You are ready to cook your bird up for your meal or for vegetables to cook in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

4 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

OK, so we get a lot of spam here at the forums. And mostly you don't see any of it, because after 20 years on the internet we're pretty good at catching it. Today, however, I'm going to subject you to what might be my favorite so far, I can't read it without literally laughing out loud. I've removed the links for obvious reasons, but this was a submission today from a user calling themselves "Adolfo12" entitled "How to make chicken in frying pan" (and yes, this is 100% of the post, so the lack of a step one, or of an ingredients list, is indeed puzzling):

All that's missing is the lengthy preamble and a few pictures, and it's a page from an inferior food blog. :P

• Haha 7

“There’s nothing in the house to eat” is not going to fly anymore. If you have vegetable oil or butter, you have a replacement for olive oil. Crushed red pepper but no black pepper? You’re good. Vinegar or limes instead of lemons? Carry on! The only thing that will stop you is not having salt. If necessary, pinch a child—hard!—and collect his tears. Use those. You’re all set.”

Carla Lalli Music

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been enjoying her YouTube videos lately.  She always seems to be having a good time in them. 

I have just bought her (kindle)book: Where  Cooking Begins. It is a refreshing reality check after reading David Chang‘s: Cooking at Home. I must look for her videos. Thank you. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog