• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

@liuzhou

No no no. Everyone knows that the knife needs to be moved further to the right to make room for the phone. Anything else suggests an old fashioned, mannerly attention to one’s dining companion(s) and an interest in the food being served. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not only that, but for octogenarians like me    you need space to the  left of the napkin for the crossword puzzle and ballpoint pen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

11 minutes ago, Arey said:

Not only that, but for octogenarians like me    you need space to the  left of the napkin for the crossword puzzle and ballpoint pen.

You must be left handed. Everyone knows that the ballpoint pen must be on the right.

• Haha 5

@Kim Shook

My grandma was so much better looking than this. She would be smiling as I try, as she did, to overcome challenges. You would recognize by my extraordinary good looks that we swam in the same gene pool!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

237315577_4820475141313235_1903903361612068802_n.thumb.jpg.28198dc7114cf78f5e48022d11c515e8.jpg

(Not strictly food, but a coffee cup is close enough I think...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 8/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, Anna N said:

@Kim Shook

My grandma ....You would recognize by my extraordinary good looks that we swam in the same gene pool!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Indeed.   I somewhat resemble my grandmother, but my grand-daughter is her spitting image.   Genes will out even four generations down line.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

10 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Scrambled egg???

Got to have breakfast before you open gifts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Scrambled egg???

Yes. What @Anna Nsaid.

For many years, my late wife and I ate scrambled egg with smoked salmon for Christmas breakfast. Washed down with champagne.

Now I'm old and wifeless, I just go straight for the champagne.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Forget the can then, no champagne.

Oh, that comes in its own separate can. :)

andre-can-720x405.png.6c8fa14dac3230c837854740e360f1f7.png

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That is decidedly NOT champagne!

If it says champagne it's got to be champagne. They couldn't put it on the label otherwise, right? It reminds me of a time years ago when we were eating in a popular restaurant in Seattle. They have broccoli with Hollandaise sauce on the menu. I asked the waitress if it was real Hollandaise or mock Hollandaise. She said that she would ask and came back and said that it was real Hollandaise because she had asked the chef and he had showed her the can and it said real Hollandaise. I passed on the broccoli.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If it says champagne it's got to be champagne. They couldn't put it on the label otherwise, right?

Depends where you are. Most major countries agree that only sparkling wine made under strict conditions and specifications in Champagne, France can legally be named champagne. The USA is the stand out exception. They adopted the international standard in 2006 (over 100 years after mostly everyone else). The name can still be used in the US for non-Champagne champagnes if they were used on a specific product prior to 2006 and also give the true origin.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

only sparkling wine made under strict conditions and specifications in Champagne, France can legally be named champagne.

I was being facetious. I didn't know that it was legal to use the name champagne on any product other than from Champagne, France. I don't remember the term for a territorially protected item. Makes you wonder if the cans are a gag item.

Or if they would just make you gag!

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)