• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

192136082_1078529662672268_4916941078585814361_n.jpg.7e6c290a39b44ecb6f96350a72ff943c.jpg

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I don't doubt that for a minute. If they do it to only one, that's the one I always get.

And when I get in a line, I swear that it is tattooed on my forehead that it is time to change the tape, count the money, or change shifts.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

And when I get in a line, I swear that it is tattooed on my forehead that it is time to change the tape, count the money, or change shifts.

I wrote this line.   You stole it.   You owe me.   But, don't worry.   One day, you'll be behind me in line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

My cousin shared this photo he took on Roosevelt Island, NYC

89FC3F5A-AB56-4F44-8CD3-2D9A8A597ABA.thumb.jpeg.3cef5ef820a3eb3759ba2aed3d9c751d.jpeg

I think the whole GMO thing has gone too far.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've been watching Spongebob Squarepants with the wee grandson this morning. In one episode the irascible Squidward character is menaced by a bunch of rogue performing fleas (don't ask) who cram him into a roasting pan with some mirepoix and stick him in the oven.

Squidward, of course, bursts free...to lecture them on what they've done wrong in seasoning him for the oven. He demonstrates correct preparation - which includes lots of fresh-ground black pepper - before climbing back into the roasting pan and tasting the pan juices to make sure they're correct before closing the oven door again.

Then, and only then, he bursts out and escapes. Gotta admire the commitment level... :P

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Q: Why does a space rock taste better than an earth rock?

A: Because it's a little meteor...

• Haha 5

My late mother, whom some of you "know", was very prim and proper. She hated anyone cursing or swearing, to the extent that I grew up believing that saying "bloody" or "drat" or "besooks" would result in immediate death and anything stronger would instantly destroy the universe at the very moment of utterance. Big Bang Two - The Sequel. Bodily functions didn't exist for her, or at least were beyond unmentionable. Sex was a myth promoted by communist bandits out to destroy interplanetary balance and therefore even more unmentionable.

But, at the same time, she absolutely loved Billy Connolly despite his apparent inability to get through a sentence without dropping an f-bomb or getting scatalogical.  I never mentioned to her that I knew Billy personally, though we were never close friends. But my brother "accidentally" told her.  I expected to be told never to darken her doorstep again, but she just complained that I had never brought him home for tea!

I remember sitting with her later, watching a video of a live show. She had tears of laughter running down her face and at one point said "Pause it! I'm going to pee myself!" I was never so shocked in my life! Like the Queen, my mother never had any need for micturation or worse. She didn't even eat peas in case anyone misunderstood!

Anyway, this is the segment of the video she was watching when she got the urge for going and wanted the video paused.

I may have posted it before, but I'm happily posting it again in her memory. Miss you Mum!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

My late mother, whom some of you "know", was very prim and proper. She hated anyone cursing or swearing, to the extent that I grew up believing that saying "bloody" or "drat" or "besooks" would result in immediate death and anything stronger would instantly destroy the universe at the very moment of utterance. Big Bang Two - The Sequel. Bodily functions didn't exist for her, or at least were beyond unmentionable. Sex was a myth promoted by communist bandits out to destroy interplanetary balance and therefore even more unmentionable.

But, at the same time, she absolutely loved Billy Connolly despite his apparent inability to get through a sentence without dropping an f-bomb or getting scatalogical.  I never mentioned to her that I knew Billy personally, though we were never close friends. But my brother "accidentally" told her.  I expected to be told never to darken her doorstep again, but she just complained that I had never brought him home for tea!

I remember sitting with her later, watching a video of a live show. She had tears of laughter running down her face and at one point said "Pause it! I'm going to pee myself!" I was never so shocked in my life! Like the Queen, my mother never had any need for micturation or worse. She didn't even eat peas in case anyone misunderstood!

Anyway, this is the segment of the video she was watching when she got the urge for going and wanted the video paused.

I may have posted it before, but I'm happily posting it again in her memory. Miss you Mum!

Mothers are quite good at making exceptions to their own rules. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1