• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

via Twitter

So I ordered the Wagyu at the hot pot restaurant and this is how it arrived. Wild.

E0KRSXLXIAIrdL3.thumb.jpg.c5a810f6d39888752a9d67c1a5a7cd06.jpg

It's Lady Gaga!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Cooking hacks from celebrity chefs, per The Onion (slide show)

Emeril Lagasse: “As your guests go to take their first bite, if you stand behind them and make the ‘Mmmm’ noise at the right volume, sometimes they’ll think that it’s them making that noise, and they’ll think that they’re actually enjoying the meal a lot.”

• Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

182624744_10159590325892941_8233846707202785818_n.thumb.jpg.379a59595d5adacceaca4b96b06a5d8c.jpg

I will add that serving it out of the casserole dish is inappropriate. One needs a Welcome "Mat out of Hell."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

182624744_10159590325892941_8233846707202785818_n.thumb.jpg.379a59595d5adacceaca4b96b06a5d8c.jpg

I will add that serving it out of the casserole dish is inappropriate. One needs a Welcome "Mat out of Hell."

The toenails are the worst part.  @CantCookStillTry, I think you should make one of these for your hubby to take back to the mine! Something different for the corners of his pictures. 😁

• Haha 4

On 4/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, liuzhou said:
found via Twitter. May need explaining.

Facebook reminded me this morning that it's recommended you run the launch of any product for the UK market past someone Scottish

Ez4ajnfWQAEAR2y.jpg.b5b18c56b37d6949ddea0d93d9bf616f.jpg

A familiar word in my house growing up, My mother's mother was a Stewart. 

• Like 2

John Hodgman is one of my favorite humorists. He currently writes a brief, weekly, off-kilter advice column for the NY Times. This was last week's column, about fear of Bundt cakes.

Karen writes: My husband, David, hates Bundt cake. I believe he was scarred by grotesque Bundt-shaped 1970s recipes. But he likes cake. Please order him to try it.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Haha 1