• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

21 hours ago, heidih said:

Explanation needed as I work up questions for a webinar on Reimagining the California Gas Station https://calendar.usc.edu/event/3rd_la_pump_to_plug_symposium#.X8wvqWVKj-c  :)

Sorry...you need an explanation of this, or do you plan to use it as part of your webinar? In case it's the first: this was an old (1960's? 1970's?) gasoline station that wanted to make it services known to freeway drivers. In very large letters, the side of the building advertised that they sold fried chicken and that they had diesel. Whoever painted the sign didn't think carefully about word order or changing the lettering, and we thought the result had comical implications of how the chicken was fried. I'd attach a photo if I could find one.

Diesel used to be very difficult to find except at truck stops. It still isn't a given that any gasoline station will sell diesel as well, and it's common to see a notation if they do. I suppose soon there will be signs that prominently display the presence of charging stations.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Sorry...you need an explanation of this, or do you plan to use it as part of your webinar? In case it's the first: this was an old (1960's? 1970's?) gasoline station that wanted to make it services known to freeway drivers. In very large letters, the side of the building advertised that they sold fried chicken and that they had diesel. Whoever painted the sign didn't think carefully about word order or changing the lettering, and we thought the result had comical implications of how the chicken was fried. I'd attach a photo if I could find one.

Diesel used to be very difficult to find except at truck stops. It still isn't a given that any gasoline station will sell diesel as well, and it's common to see a notation if they do. I suppose soon there will be signs that prominently display the presence of charging stations.

ok  I thought I missed some obscure culinary reference :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

131915805_10164533764270335_1055214716223203242_n.thumb.jpg.e5e735450cb1bcf0b708a6505df9fcd1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 12/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, liuzhou said:

b1a968bfddb81157878de440f84b1435.thumb.jpg.407079eb4c10c549410e87e0abac2522.jpg

My husband has been threatening / promising to buy this shirt for me. I just now realized, though, that the model is carrying a  coffee cup! Oh, the irony.

Wait...maybe she has wine in the cup.

• Haha 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

My husband has been threatening / promising to buy this shirt for me. I just now realized, though, that the model is carrying a  coffee cup! Oh, the irony.

Wait...maybe she has wine in the cup.

There are some places it may not be appropriate to drink wine. I think it's appropriate to drink coffee most everywhere. I'm going for camouflage, here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

There are some places it may not be appropriate to drink wine. I think it's appropriate to drink coffee most everywhere. I'm going for camouflage, here.

Those moms who keep getting caught on their kids' computers during remote school should do this.  And blowing on it every so often is good, too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Those moms who keep getting caught on their kids' computers during remote school should do this.  And blowing on it every so often is good, too.  

A game as old as time. Dads agree to go along to shepherd kids around many blocks on Halloween, sipping from their "coffee mugs" - and then the bellowing frat boy behavior starts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

A game as old as time. Dads agree to go along to shepherd kids around many blocks on Halloween, sipping from their "coffee mugs" - and then the bellowing frat boy behavior starts. 

Many years ago when were were somewhat new to Mexico, we sat down at an outdoor cafe' and ordered dos vinos blancos.  The waiter looked around the cafe' then back at us and gave us the "shhhh" sign.  He returned in a few minutes with two Solo cups of wine. 

Found out later it was Election Day, when alcohol sales are prohibited.  Viva Mexico!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

133619753_10157357445456540_2672654337473136918_n.jpg.d1708e6ab386843122e5b6d31b1d4ad1.jpg

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

134070789_2805935282996690_5737359138001872424_o.thumb.jpg.1fa764bd5fa18b3cbe1802ceb922ce6c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4