• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

17 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I must admit that I am not that fond of Connely - not because of his profanity, but a true comedian is at his or her best when they do not laugh at there own humour, which Connaly does all the time - he spends more time laughing at himself than telling a humourous story. Danny Bhoy appears not to do so although I do not know him other than the clip above. One of the better comedians, to me, was David Allen, unfortunately no longer with us. Do a YouTube search for his videos.

Absolutely.  Watched him when he was on TV and have recently watched him again on YouTube.  Very droll.  Also take a look at John Wing, his early stuff anyway.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 hours ago, Darienne said:

I first saw him in 1990-91 when he took over from Howard Hesse in "Head of the Class', an American TV show.  He's funny just standing there.  Have followed him since then.  Lucky you to have met him.  

Do you know Danny Bhoy?  Do look him up on YouTube.  

Of course, my other big favourite is the late John Pinette.  I am not what you would ever call a 'fun' person, but these three are my kind of comedian. 

Pinette was one of my favorites - and the food connection would be the Beavertails!

The Water Park

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 1

Not in the realm of the above posted comedians but this Sherman's Lagoon one the other day stuck me as very eG.  Sherman is a great white shark who lives in a tropical lagoon. The cartoonist is active in saving our seas on a policy and activism level.   

http://shermanslagoon.com/comics/august-8-2018/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pinette was one of my favorites - and the food connection would be the Beavertails!

The Water Park

Lots of food connections here: Macdonalds, Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, Kentucky Fried Chicken, a grocery store, Dairy Queen...fits right in.  I think this is one of my all time favorites.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Not in the realm of the above posted comedians but this Sherman's Lagoon one the other day stuck me as very eG.  Sherman is a great white shark who lives in a tropical lagoon. The cartoonist is active in saving our seas on a policy and activism level.   

http://shermanslagoon.com/comics/august-8-2018/

I can't find the actual strip, but one of my favorite Sherman's Lagoon strips was also food-related (after a fashion):

Sherman: You ever have one of those moments when you eat something you haven't tasted in years, and it brings back a whole flood of memories?
Fillmore: It's a well-known phenomenon. In fact, Marcel Proust wrote a whole series of novels about that.

Sherman: Boogers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Seen today at the Toronto Gift Show - I guess if you were starving and had to eat your purse to survive you would be reassured knowing it was vegan!

IMG_1974.JPG.df1025b4b6f4778b75ecdd66d3ce9e28.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG.55da514cc22defbe9f800694f2e67e5b.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG.b1351a16441807a90240691a581eaa18.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

From one of my cousins' kids:

Q: What kind of bugs live in a spice rack?

A: Thyme flies...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today @Kerry Beal and I spent some time in one of our local Asian grocery stores looking at food and kitchen toys. These safety instructions  were on the  packaging for a knife. 

08557408-A714-4600-91BC-2025FAD0E1A8.jpeg.f735af4f633f35588c201519b282240a.jpeg

We also could not resist a photograph of these although we did resist the purchase of same.

F87A8F3A-A21E-4D0C-B2E9-29F2F7F21E7C.jpeg.f6e1de33e3a0fc3f4aa667522c221556.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

F87A8F3A-A21E-4D0C-B2E9-29F2F7F21E7C.jpeg.f6e1de33e3a0fc3f4aa667522c221556.jpeg

There is also a pun in the Chinese there.  猫抓老鼠 means "The cat catches the mouse." However they have substituted the last character with , both of which are pronounced identically - shǔ. With the substitution it ends up reading 猫抓老薯 which means "The cat catches the potato." Both are pronounced  māo zhuā lǎo shǔ. Very typical Chinese humour.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Today @Kerry Beal and I spent some time in one of our local Asian grocery stores looking at food and kitchen toys. These safety instructions  were on the  packaging for a knife. 

08557408-A714-4600-91BC-2025FAD0E1A8.jpeg.f735af4f633f35588c201519b282240a.jpeg

One should not use a knife on acid.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Knives on acid are doubly dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/23/2018 at 4:21 AM, Anna N said:

Knives on acid are doubly dangerous. 

I was tripping and forgot that I had stored my knife in my child for safekeeping. He dropped the knife on his hand. I thought the blood was ketchup so I drove him to the ER. It seemed like forever to get there, but he was still breathing. The white-coats were able to revitalize him and thus did I extend his life. It was a very hard object lesson, but I learned it well: never tile your kitchen on acid. The job will just never get done and you will have wasted a weekend.

• Haha 4

I've never been on acid much stronger than lime juice, but there was I time I was suffering from loss of my corporation and lack of sleep.  I saw peacocks on the wall in front of me, behind my monitor.  So real I had to get up to pet them.  Before I get banned, peacocks are food, right?

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2018 at 12:17 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Also- does it really say  that one of its functions is to slice others?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

And maybe not trying to be funny, but certainly ridiculous:  boba tea in a (faux) light bulb is apparently 'a thing' as the kids say.  The guys I share a kitchen with were bitching about being next to a light bulb boba stand at a farmers market, marveling at the people lining up (and blocking their booths) for a novelty glass.  I like boba, but ... ???

https://mic.com/articles/177453/drinking-out-of-a-lightbulb-is-the-hottest-new-trend-here-are-13-places-to-try-it#.6jn1Ak7qK

https://worldteanews.com/news/ride-lightbulb-boba-wave

• Confused 1

[Host's note: this post and the responses were split from the Food recalls topic, in a which a post noted that that NYTimes advises against eating raw centipedes, and that two people had contracted rat lungworm from doing so.]

What would be the best way to cook centipedes?  I'm thinking like a tiny kabob.  Should they be skinned prior to cooking or to eating?

Would a dipping sauce enhance their flavor or cover their delicate taste?  I picture them artfully arranged a top a bed of rice and small

shards of fresh herbs sprinkled over them😋

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IowaDee said:

What would be the best way to cook centipedes?  I'm thinking like a tiny kabob.  Should they be skinned prior to cooking or to eating?

Would a dipping sauce enhance their flavor or cover their delicate taste?  I picture them artfully arranged a top a bed of rice and small

shards of fresh herbs sprinkled over them😋

That might depend on the size of the centipede.  I think deep fried is traditional.  But, please, never raw.  Rat lung worms, you know.

• Like 2

BugFest Raleigh, scheduled for 9-15-18 has been recalled due to Hurricane Florence. I am not sure if they planned to offer raw centipedes, but Cafe Insectca, for real offers up edible insects every year. Not my cuppa, but apparently it attracts a lot of visitors.

It does make one wonder if the health department subjects this novelty to the same scrutiny as they would a hot dog cart? 

We are making light of it, but rat lung worms. Eww!

> ^ . . ^ <

It hardly seems fair, right? Getting rat lungworms without eating rat lungs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That might depend on the size of the centipede.  I think deep fried is traditional.  But, please, never raw.  Rat lung worms, you know.

I need a gagging emoji.

Edited by lindag
spelling (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3