• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

2 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

This isnt exactly "funny" but it is ODD. Pay attention to the ingredients and the story about her son.

I was like, "whoah! did I just hear that?"

Poppies...Poppies...Poppies will put them to sleep.

In my clinic, a favorite excuse for a drug test turning up positive for opiods was, "I ate some poppy seed rolls (bagels, cake, etc.) the night before." "Uh, sorry, but I'm not buying that. Obviously you know that eating a sufficient amount of poppy seeds can cause a positive drug test, so you also know that you need to avoid those foods."

BTW, poppy seeds do not contain opium per se, but can become coated with it, or absorb some, during harvesting. Several variables influence how much opium remains after processing.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

From The New Yorker: We Do Our Own Little Take On Ketchup

The ketchup here at the Stetson is made in-house with freshly diced tomatoes, a pinch of sugar, a touch of paprika, and it’s disgusting. It truly is gross. Nobody likes it, and all the customers secretly wish we just served Heinz ketchup instead.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Pearls Before Swine on restaurant communal tables

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Alex  I actually really like communal tables.

I used to be horrified by them but no longer. You often meet interesting people and rarely run into total jerks. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Many of the local Basque restaurants have communal tables and have had them for many decades.

Everything old is new again...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Many of the local Basque restaurants have communal tables and have had them for many decades.

Everything old is new again...

One of the happy memories from my DW's and my trip to Germany in 1980 (celebrating my DW's BA in German Literature) was going to non-tourist local restaurants and sharing tables with to the local citizens. Many is the time I wished at least the more casual eating establishments here in the USA would adopt the communal table.

Way off topic: By plan, the best souvenir we brought home was born 9 months later.

And because this is the food funnies thread:

Vial of Gluten.jpg

I have friends who are self-diagnosed. Um, yeah, right. I also have friends who are medically diagnosed. I understand the difference.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 11/4/2016 at 11:37 AM, Porthos said:

@Alex  I actually really like communal tables.

I eat alone a fair amount when I'm traveling, so I enjoy communal tables, but rarely see them. If I'm somewhere there's a line and people are being seated, I always offer to share my table with anyone who wants to eat more quickly. I did that a few weeks ago when I was on the road, and wound up having a delightful lunch and conversation with a gentleman who was a retired state trooper and who had, amazingly enough, been partnered with a man I grew up with and haven't seen since we left high school.

I love how small the world is.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I love how small the world is.

I had two notable examples of that while my restaurant was open. The first was two couples from Germany...one had booked months ahead, the other came off the road because of bad weather and followed our signs. They got talking in the dining room, and it turned out they lived a block apart from each other at home in Germany. Go figure. 

The second involved an older couple travelling with their grandson (the boy was keen on cooking, so I let him help me make the fresh pasta for my lobster ravioli and pappardelle. He was thrilled). A younger couple turned out to be from the same state, and then from the same town, and then from the same neighbourhood. Eventually it turned out that the older couple's grandson and younger couple's son were on the same hockey team, and they'd somehow managed never to meet.

I remember being surprised that there was junior hockey that far south. IIRC they were from somewhere in one of the Carolinas. I guess that means the NHL Hurricanes are having at least a modest impact. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Pearls Before Swine on handwritten recipes

• Like 1

I know this is religion and politics but its still food and funny

Im involved in politics chat and there is a no preaching religion rule.

A lady came in and got on mic and immediately started preaching, she was immediately muted off mic.

Me being the wiseguy got on mic and said, 'let us pray...In the name of Ravioli, in the name of pappardele, linguini, angelhair, tortellini, etc let us all wear our Colanders proudly, AMEN"

Others then got on mic and named their favorite pastas.

Preachy lady left.

• Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

22 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I know this is religion and politics but its still food and funny

Im involved in politics chat and there is a no preaching religion rule.

A lady came in and got on mic and immediately started preaching, she was immediately muted off mic.

Me being the wiseguy got on mic and said, 'let us pray...In the name of Ravioli, in the name of pappardele, linguini, angelhair, tortellini, etc let us all wear our Colanders proudly, AMEN"

Others then got on mic and named their favorite pastas.

Preachy lady left.

I think you forgot -- it should have been "Ramen."

(Both our posts probably are going to get hidden.)

• Like 2

Just now, Alex said:

I think you forgot -- it should have been "Ramen."

(Both our posts probably are going to get hidden.)

Ohhhh thats PERFECTION. Ill use that the next time one of them come in.... That leads to another story....

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So for some reason my neighborhood has a lot of Feral and Stray and Dumped cats.

So I bought a trap. I trapped the first one, a calico female who had just weaned her 2 kittens born under my neighbors deck.

Took her to the Vets to TNR her.

The vets asked for a name...The first thing that came to mind was that David Letterman episode with Tina Turner on it in which she used an appliance called "The TUNA Turner"...

So Calico became TUNA TURNER.

Trapped Tunas BabyDaddy, Named him PIKE Turner.

Trapped their son, hhhhhhmmmm....

Tina and Ike only had 1 child together, Ronald "Ronny" Turner.

He became "pRawny Turner....

Cats and fish names, lol

• Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Ohhhh thats PERFECTION. Ill use that the next time one of them come in.... That leads to another story....

You mean...you're not familiar with Pastafarianism? You haven't been touched by his noodly appendage?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

BTW that sounds erotic like some sort of Italian off shoot of Japanese Hentai

Nope. Follow the links...

I did not write this but most of the words she must have stolen from my mind. The title, "Turkey is Gross,  But Turkey Stock is from God", says it all. 

@rotuts, avert your eyes.    Find something else to read.  xD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

That's priceless...right up there with IKEA's Apple-spoofing catalogue-launch video. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning