• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

How spicy do you like your Korean food?

Order here

Do not open if easily offended by profanity.

(That'll get everyone opening it!)

This reminds me of Allie Brosh's (Hyperbole and a Half) pain scale. Yes, I know it's not blatantly food-related, but it's close enough. Just think of it as also relating to Scoville units.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Heart and Brain and coffee (The Awkward Yeti, yet again)

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

on the 8th set down  ( one down from the scene from Gladiator ) there seems to be  Personal Beverage in art 'A'  gone in art 'B'

I was not aware that this type of P.B. had gluten in it

Ive had some experience in this Field

it does not look like beer  .....

Thanks to you Alex, I have wasted many hours reading "The Awkward Yeti" and also "Barney and Clyde" I found on the same site. I appreciate you turning us all on to them.

You're welcome, TftC. I apologize for the delayed reply. One of the folks behind Barney & Clyde is Gene Weingarten, of the Washington Post, who's one of my favorite writers. (One of my signature lines comes from one of his columns.)

He doesn't write all that often about food, although a recent column touched on both Rice Krispies and butter, and this Barney & Clyde is sort of peripherally related. Here's a page with links to his Sunday columns for the past year and his Tuesday ones for the past eight months. It also has links to his longer articles, two of which (this one and this one) won Pulitzer prizes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2015 at 5:05 PM, Alex said:

You're welcome, TftC. I apologize for the delayed reply. One of the folks behind Barney & Clyde is Gene Weingarten, of the Washington Post, who's one of my favorite writers. (One of my signature lines comes from one of his columns.)

He doesn't write all that often about food, although a recent column touched on both Rice Krispies and butter, and this Barney & Clyde is sort of peripherally related. Here's a page with links to his Sunday columns for the past year and his Tuesday ones for the past eight months. It also has links to his longer articles, two of which (this one and this one) won Pulitzer prizes.

Wow!

Gene deserves his Pulitzers. What a writer, that many of us may aspire to be. I'll be keeping an eye peeled for his work.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Wow!

Gene deserves his Pulitzers. What a writer, that many of us may aspire to be. I'll be keeping an eye peeled for his work.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Did you also read his feature story about The Great Zucchini ("The Peekaboo Paradox")? It's a good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this was hilarious :laugh:, but many of them looked like staged jokes, at least to a person who is unfamiliar with the German language and culture, for the most part.

I kept craning my head to try to seem something else with the photo of the buttocks with ears, and was stymied until I read the comments: 

Katharina Fösel · 

There's a german idiom that's "Arsch mit Ohren" ( "ass with ears"), which is a colloquial insult term for an annoying, stupid, awful person smile emoticon
This article didn't really well in explaining or translating the texts.

I'm sure many would make better sense with less ignorance on my part, but still a riot. Thanks liuzhou.

> ^ . . ^ <