• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello

Chuck Avalon

Hello everyone. Obviously I'm new here. I found my way here by searching for equipment for my small confectionary shop in the New England area. I've been playing with candy and chocolate for just over a year and enjoy it immensely. I don't have an online shop, so no worries about me trying to use the forum to promote sales.  As for home, I have an on-again/off-again relationship with vegetarianism. Right now I'm in the off position.  I don't know what else to say. Have a great weekend.

Peace, 

Chuck

PS. To my parents regret, I rather dislike my birth name.  So keep in mind that while I have a traditionally masculine name, I'm actually a girl/woman/female. :B

• Like 4

Peace, 

Chuck

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas" - J. Buffett

Welcome to eGullet, Chuck! Thanks for clarifying about the name/gender, although as time goes on you still may have to correct people, if it matters. Heck, I read and enjoyed @Jaymes' posts for years before realizing Jaymes was a she. :) 

I admire you for starting a confectionary business. You'll find wonderful resources here from very experienced confectioners and chocolatiers, and you'll also be able to share tips and boo-boos with other newcomers. As someone who's never made candy more elaborate than fudge, I won't be able to help in that area, but I can help you find your way around the forums, if you need it. So can any other host or manager, so feel free to PM one of us if the need arises.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

LOL I've worked with a female Tommy and a female Kevin, and my late wife's name was pronounced (but not spelled) "Larry," so this is one more for the list.

Are you perchance a fan of "Pushing Daisies?"

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning