• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SusieQ

SusieQ

Original needed clarification.

I've had steel-cut oats but I didn't like the texture. I grew up with what in our extended family was called "mush," which was cooked oatmeal with milk and a little sugar. A big pot every single morning for years.*  Sometimes leftovers were fried in a little butter. This was in the 1940s and '50s so it was probably just whatever regular oatmeal was available then. 

*Edited to add that we did have other things every once in awhile -- bacon and eggs, our version of French toast, etc. But it wasn't usual. 

SusieQ

SusieQ

I've had steel-cut oats but I didn't like the texture. I grew up with what in our extended family was called "mush," which was cooked oatmeal with milk and a little sugar. A big pot every single morning for years.  Sometimes leftovers were fried in a little butter. This was in the 1940s and '50s so it was probably just whatever regular oatmeal was available then.