• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can all bread/pizza/pasta be made with no-knead recipes? Does a stand mixer actually expand my possibilities?

BatchCooker

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a stand mixer (leaning towards the Ankarsrum right now), esp. to make more homemade bread, pizza and pasta.

So far I've only really done no-knead doughs and those worked out pretty well.

Now I am wondering: What is actually the advantage of having a stand mixer? Is it just saving me time or are there actually doughs one can't really do well using no-knead? I read that whole wheat doughs or doughs with a high fat content will develop less gluten... is this where the stand mixer is coming into play really?

Thanks!

BatchCooker

not everything works with a "no knead" approach.

I do gadzillions of no knead bread styles.

I do Jamie Oliver's pizza dough - which takes a 15 minute kneading + rise.

I do 'classic' 16th century German bread recipes that take hand kneading....

basically a stand mixer / dough hook will do the typical kneading exercise - saving the baker his aches and pains....

but - kneaded is kneaded - if you enjoy killing your wrists, mixed not required.

• Like 1

No knead works fairly well with high hydration bread.  Pasta is normally much lower in hydration, and i have never heard of a no knead pasta recipe .  Plus, kneading pasta is hard work, it can be done by hand , but it is much easier by machine, either a mixer or a food processor.  Pizza dough falls between the two -  some use a high hydration, others are in the low 60's , and do a liight mix, then a long cold retard , and for that,  a mixer is helpful, but not required.  The Ank is a great choice, hope you like it. 

• Like 1