• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Some say they can't survive on SNAP, well it was never intended to cover all food costs — it's a SUPPLEMENT!!! (high income, low SNAP — low income, high SNAP)

I've seen the challenges where folks whine about the limits of SNAP and try to live on just SNAP for a month.

Well, I can go it! Even LOW-CARB quite easily because my income is low.

For example, I can buy a 10 pound, bone in, pork shoulder for $1.99/lb.

Cure it, smoke it, and have enough meat for 14-21 days — as low as 95 cents per DAY!

Large eggs are, $1.45/18

Heavy Cream, $3.12/quart

Whole chicken. 99 cents per pound

Whole turkey, currently 68 cents per pound where I shop.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is, some help should be going to those who don't get a supplement.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Some say they can't survive on SNAP, well it was never intended to cover all food costs — it's a SUPPLEMENT!!! (high income, low SNAP — low income, high SNAP)

I've seen the challenges where folks whine about the limits of SNAP and try to live on just SNAP for a month.

Well, I can go it! Even LOW-CARB quite easily.

Cure it, smoke it, and have enough meat for 14-21 days — as low as 95 cents per DAY!

Large eggs are, $1.45/18

Heavy Cream, $3.12/quart

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I've seen the challenges where folks whine abought the limits of SNAP and try to live on just SNAP for a month.

Large eggs are, $1.45/18

Heavy Cream, $3.12/quart

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I've seen the challenges where folks whine abought the limits of SNAP and try to live on just SNAP for a month.

For example, I can buy a 10 pound, bone in, pork should for $1.99/lb.

Large eggs are, $1.45/18

Heavy Cream, $3.12/quart

Etc. Etc. Etc.