• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Member Brooks Hamaker (Mayhaw Man)

Jason Perlow

18 minutes ago, patti said:

Thanks.

He will be much missed by many, many people. Condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by Anna N
To remove a sentence that seemed rather petty. (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello eGullet,

My names Miles Hamaker, Brooks' eldest son. Dad died of a heart attack on November 1st at Cane River Brewing in Natchitoches. He hadn't been in very good health for some years, but this was unexpected and unwelcome. It's been a very sad and confusing 2 weeks for me. Though, in that time I've rediscovered his writings and his many posts on eGullet and find them to be the closest thing to hearing him without being in front of dad as he wrote the way he talked. I wish he hadn't stopped writing.

I was happy to see this thread, and to read these kind words.  I'm not sure how/when we will celebrate his life with the covid situation, probably a small funeral in North Louisiana where he grew up, and then he will be buried in Abita Springs Cemetery most likely in December. 

I also see ya'll found his obituary. It took some extra time cause I found it difficult to work on it, so my mom (his ex-wife) and I wrote it together when I arrived back home from Oslo (where I live) on Monday. It will be published on Saturday in the times-picayune (New Orleans), and Sunday in the News Star (Monroe, Louisiana). Please pass on info to anyone you think would want to know.

If any of ya'll have questions about Brooks, funeral or anything, or have a story or know of something he wrote that you want to share (I would love to hear), you can email me at mileshamaker@gmail.com

Dad hadn't saved a very many treasures from his many life experiences, but I found one recipe I think you would appreciate from mr. cake himself:

Brooks Hamaker_Caramel Cake.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

8 hours ago, Son Mayhaw said:

Hello eGullet,

My names Miles Hamaker, Brooks' eldest son. Dad died of a heart attack on November 1st at Cane River Brewing in Natchitoches. He hadn't been in very good health for some years, but this was unexpected and unwelcome. It's been a very sad and confusing 2 weeks for me. Though, in that time I've rediscovered his writings and his many posts on eGullet and find them to be the closest thing to hearing him without being in front of dad as he wrote the way he talked. I wish he hadn't stopped writing.

I was happy to see this thread, and to read these kind words.  I'm not sure how/when we will celebrate his life with the covid situation, probably a small funeral in North Louisiana where he grew up, and then he will be buried in Abita Springs Cemetery most likely in December. 

I also see ya'll found his obituary. It took some extra time cause I found it difficult to work on it, so my mom (his ex-wife) and I wrote it together when I arrived back home from Oslo (where I live) on Monday. It will be published on Saturday in the times-picayune (New Orleans), and Sunday in the News Star (Monroe, Louisiana). Please pass on info to anyone you think would want to know.

If any of ya'll have questions about Brooks, funeral or anything, or have a story or know of something he wrote that you want to share (I would love to hear), you can email me at mileshamaker@gmail.com

Dad hadn't saved a very many treasures from his many life experiences, but I found one recipe I think you would appreciate from mr. cake himself:

I know I can speak for us all when I say thank you so much for your words and we are so so sorry for your loss.  Big hugs from me in Kansas.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Son Mayhaw said:

Hello eGullet,

Miles, Rachel and I are so sorry to hear of Brooks' passing. We've never met but we feel like we have known you, through his writings, and his conversations. I hadn't seen him in a long while but he's a character I will always think of when we remember our travels to Louisiana or eat the cuisine. That's how much of a mark he left on people.

• Like 3

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 weeks later...

This is incredibly sad. Brooks was one of the best writers, from any source, on any subject, I've ever ever ever read. I learned so much from him, not least that we were comrades in cake. How right can a person be, about cake and other things? I am sorry to never have met him in person, but our last conversation, some time ago now on FB, was about pimento cheese and I hold it dear. I gasped when I saw your image of what is to me the mythical caramel cake recipe. Thank you, @Son Mayhaw, so much for your post here. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

On 11/14/2020 at 12:37 AM, Son Mayhaw said:

Hello eGullet,

Thank you so much for coming here and giving us this news, Miles.  As you can tell, your dad was so influential and admired here at eGullet.  Back when I joined Brooks, along with @Jason Perlow and Steven, WAS eGullet for me.  He was one of the folks here who was obviously a real writer and someone I looked forward to hearing from.  It didn't matter if what Brooks wrote was about something that I was interested in before I read his take; I was interested as soon as I read it.  I am so sorry for your loss and hope that knowing how much your dad was valued and loved will comfort you all.  

• Like 1

I'm very sorry that I'll never hape the opportunity to converse with @Mayhaw Man. I've read many many of his engaging posts. My condoloences to @Son Mayhaw and family.

I also copied the Caramel Icing part of the Cake recipe and I'm confused:

1. Brown 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Is there no fat or liquid at this step?

2. Why is the milk remaining?

I would like to make this cake as a gesture to his memory. Thank you.