• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickle Brine Jelly?????

Kim Shook

Has anyone had any experience making jelly (the US version - a spread, not gelatin) out of pickle brine.  For some reason (that I cannot fathom), Jessica has it in her head that she want to make it.  If you haven't ever made it but are an experienced jelly/jam maker and can just suggest proportions, she's happy to experiment.  We searched and found nothing on Google (which I don't think bodes well) and the "make jelly out of anything" posts are really vague.  Thanks so much!

Well apparently it is a thing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I know you said the How to Make Jelly Out of Almost Anything posts are vague but that one at least gives fairly specific quantities to jump off from.

Salt level is going to be a potential issue with many dill pickle brines.  A savory note is nice but it doesn't sound like you want a completely non-sweet aspic-sort of thing.  Or maybe that IS the goal?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know you said the How to Make Jelly Out of Almost Anything posts are vague but that one at least gives fairly specific quantities to jump off from.

Salt level is going to be a potential issue with many dill pickle brines.  A savory note is nice but it doesn't sound like you want a completely non-sweet aspic-sort of thing.  Or maybe that IS the goal?

I'd say to take a look at some of the herbal jelly recipes out there. I bought a rosemary jelly that was mostly savory, but it had an apple base for the sugar. It was not terribly sweet and was amazing on a ham sandwich. My goal is to duplicate that some day. So, maybe use a fruit juice for the sweetness?

Deb

Liberty, MO

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

She saw that one, but there are basically no directions and step one and two are identical.  And I think she's not going to be able to get away without a little sweetening.  

4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

When I heard pickle juice jelly, I was thinking dill pickles. The link that Anna provided is for watermelon rind pickle juice. I've never had watermelon rind pickles--are they sweet or ???

She's more into trying dill rather than sweet.  

Thanks, all!  

• Like 1

This sounds interesting. I'm a fan of bread and butter pickles so the sweet wouldn't be an issue for me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.