• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi there from Germany

BatchCooker

Hello to you all from Germany!

I'm a frequent home cook and have recently been getting into some of the sciency cooking literature, esp. the Food Lab by Kenji Lopez-Alt. As a home cook I am mostly into comforting classic dishes, well prepared - for the more avant-garde cuisine I tend resort to restaurants for the most part. 

I heard about the forum in an interview with Nathan Myhrvold. I am looking forward to become part of this community :)

Best,

BatchCooker

• Like 5

Welcome, @BatchCooker! If you like science and cooking, you've come to a good place. :) Feel free to wander around the forums, check out what's here and join in the conversations. If you need help finding things, or understanding how to use the forums, feel free to reach out to a host (I am one) by Personal Messenger (PM) or take a look at our Help Files.

I especially love German comfort food, and hope to learn a few things from you about it as you post here. What are some comfort food dishes you especially like to make and eat?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I actually do not cook that much German food to be honest ;)  I grew up more with French and Italian inspired food, because my dad somehow liked that more, I guess. Maybe also because Northern Germany does not have much of a food culture... all the good stuff is in the south really. So nowadays, my most cooked dishes are Italian (esp pasta in various forms) and curry dishes. Having said that, I do regularly cook some German cuisine such as Swabian style lentils or Cologne style pea soup. Also Knödel and Spätzle, but mine are not that good yet. Or Gulasch or Schnitzel, though those are Austrian rather than German.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 5:06 PM, BatchCooker said:

Maybe also because Northern Germany does not have much of a food culture..

Hailing from Lower Saxony - the gastronomic epicenter of the country - I of course need to disagree 😜

Trotzdem Herzlich Willkommen !

• Haha 1