• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Congee Chronicles

liuzhou

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

臘八粥 (là bā zhōu) is an alternative name for 八宝粥 (bā bǎo zhōu) or Eight Treasure Congee. Enjoy.

It looks like she drains her congee at the end.  Is this correct?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It looks like she drains her congee at the end.  Is this correct?

As far as I am concerned, anything she does is correct! 😂

She does partially drain it, but what she serves remains fairly liquid. Matter of taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Made congee for lunch today, with a couple of chicken drumsticks and a thigh.
It's thinner than usual because I wanted lots of additions! It was no longer thin after I added crueller, pork floss, chili peanuts, preserved egg, fuyu, and cilantro.
Fortified and now heading out to hang more Xmas lights on the trees. It's blustery and 0C. Freezing rain tomorrow and snow on Monday!  Might even turn the lights on tonight to celebrate the results of the American election!

2122968509_ChickenCongee2551.jpg.1366292a3b81c3171235f8d16268b734.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

Probably should've put this post here.

Because I used my new rice cooker to make lunch today. A delicious seafood congee...

1324569520_Ricecookercongee11-14IMG_27822.thumb.jpeg.973f7aa3117093b461830d837a92dcb3.jpeg

934520450_Congee11-14IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.e7a83f3087be7295893b0c4cde57c95e.jpeg

Okay that looks fantastic. Never made congee, never used the porridge setting on my rice cooker, which looks just like yours. Can you give me some details? Was there a recipe? What kind of rice? Ratio of rice to liquid? Did you use a stock or just water? Seems like it would be easy to make a shrimp-shell stock to include. That's brilliant about using the warming function to cook the fish. So tell me whatever you can without boring yourself to death. I don't usually need someone to tell me what to do, but in the case, yes. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay that looks fantastic. Never made congee, never used the porridge setting on my rice cooker, which looks just like yours. Can you give me some details? Was there a recipe? What kind of rice? Ratio of rice to liquid? Did you use a stock or just water? Seems like it would be easy to make a shrimp-shell stock to include. That's brilliant about using the warming function to cook the fish. So tell me whatever you can without boring yourself to death. I don't usually need someone to tell me what to do, but in the case, yes. Thanks!

Believe me, I have no problem boring others to death - just ask my wife!

If you have a similar or exactly the same rice cooker, it probably looks like this on the inside.

IMG_2793.thumb.jpeg.4faa2a53af5f30d0a45db11b82b9f11f.jpeg

And it came with that Japanese rice measuring cup (holding 180ml), the equivalent to 3/4 of a standard dry measuring cup (fwiw, I'm big on weighing rice, and have found that 180 ml of short-grain rice weighs just about 150 grams, a nice, round number to work with). This web page is super helpful for all these types of conversions...https://www.howmany.wiki/vw/--100--ml--of--basmati-rice--in--gram

Anyway, the booklet that came with the rice cooker has good instructions (one day, I'll post it in the Vintage Cooking Booklets topic, but I have to wait a few decades to do that). And of course, @rotuts suggestion for this:

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

was a good one! I borrowed it from the library, and it was on my iPad in 10 seconds. Great stuff in the book as well.

Getting back to my non-recipe'd congee attempt, I used a cup of long-grain Carolina rice, washed it well (I always wash rice well - except paella/risotto), dumped it into the insert, and then used plain water up to the corresponding Porridge line. I threw in a couple of slices of ginger and some salt as well. All the other additions were done after the rice cooker alerted me that it was done; when I popped the lid, it was quite thick. So I boiled some water and added until it reached a consistency I liked before adding the raw fish/scallops, peas and carrots.  (The stuff keeps thickening, so it's nice to have a hot liquid to add to your taste). In 5 or 6 minutes on the Keep Warm function, the fish/scallops were done. I then added even more stuff before plating; soy, scallions, pepper, etc. etc. And put a bunch of seasonings (see@liuzhou's post here) on the table for Sig Eater and me to customize even more.

I think it'll be even better using any of a number of different stocks, but the plain water really allows for a multitude of add-ins. And this morning, I made porridge again - only it was with 5-grain hot cereal!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just a pronunciation question. In Malayalam it's kanji, with the nj similar to the first n in Spanish manana. Congee Romanised spelling could be pronounced in different ways. Kong ghee? Kong ee? Kon jee? I avoided ordering it when I was in Chinatown (London) because I wasn't sure. Put me out of my misery!

4 hours ago, Kerala said:

Just a pronunciation question. In Malayalam it's kanji, with the nj similar to the first n in Spanish manana. Congee Romanised spelling could be pronounced in different ways. Kong ghee? Kong ee? Kon jee? I avoided ordering it when I was in Chinatown (London) because I wasn't sure. Put me out of my misery!

Kon gee. In IPA, ˈkɒndʒi:

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

Of course, if you fail to get up early (as I usually do), you can always pick up a can of congee in any supermarket or convenience store. This is but one of many. Eight treasure congee (with black rice).

1449762653_babaocongee.thumb.jpg.39cae23ee699949ff5117e1cfc508f2b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 10:57 AM, dcarch said:

I have not been to the entire China, Japan, Korea, vietnam, etc. I am sure there are many areas where congee is not served with youtiao, but according to some WEB information,:

"Yóu Tiáo (Chinese: 油条), also known as Chinese cruller, oil stick, doughnut, and breadstick, is a trip of fried dough that is typically eaten for breakfast. It usually is served as an accompaniment with rice congee, soy milk, or tofu soup where they are either served whole to be dipped into the liquid or cut into smaller pieces to be sprinkled on top. "

dcarch

So, Dunkin' Donuts 😄

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I notice Zojirushi has introduced a new rice cooker with a congee setting.  So far I have resisted.

That took a while. Most rice cookers in China have a congee setting and have done for decades.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

That took a while. Most rice ookers in China have a congee setting and have done for decades.

My ancient Zojirushi has a porridge setting but no setting for congee.  The new rice cooker has both a congee setting and a porridge setting.  Apparently at least to Zojirushi engineers Japanese rice porridge is a different dish from Chinese congee.

The new Zojirushi also has a setting for steel cut oats that my Zojirushi does not.  My only solace is my Zojirushi manual warns not to try to cook oats.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 6 months later...

腊八节快乐!Happy Laba Festival!

Today, January 10th 2022*, is the Laba Festival, a Buddhist festival marking the date of the Buddha's enlightenment. It is celebrated by eating Laba congee (see above).

* This falls on the 8th day of the 12 month of the traditional Chinese solar-lunar calendar, so it changes from year to year relative to the Gregorian caledar used in most cultures today.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

I posted sometime ago that there is a huge ginkgo tree in my garden.

This year it made a ton of ginkgo nuts, enough to supply all the Chinese, Japanese, Korean population in NY.

I have been enjoying another very popular congee recipe, Tofu Skin & Gingko nut Congee 腐皮白果粥.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)