• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I have never had congee, I do have access to a H-Mart for Asian pickles, what are some of the most common/popular types?

Where to begin. Make a list of every vegetable you've ever heard of, add some fruits, then pickle them! A very strange and error-ridden Wikinonsense article suggests there are over 130 types. Yeah! A lot more, I'd say.

Common: lotus root, daikon radish, onions, carrot, cucumber, ginger, garlic, apple, bitter melon, cabbage, various squashes, tofu .....

When I next get back to where I took the picture of the pickle selection I'll try to identify what they all were. It was lunchtime when I passed and didn't want to disturb the diners too much. I'll go earlier in the day when it might be empty.

liuzhou

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I have never had congee, I do have access to a H-Mart for Asian pickles, what are some of the most common/popular types?

Where to begin. Make a list of every vegetable you've ever heard of, add some fruits, then pickle them! A very strange and error-ridden Wikinonsense article suggests there are over 130 types. Yeah! A lot more, I'd say.

Common: lotus root, daikon radish, onions, carrot, cucumber, ginger, garlic, apple, bitter melon, cabbage, various squashes .....

When I next get back to where I took the picture of the pickle selection I'll try to identify what they all were. It was lunchtime when I passed and didn't want to disturb the diners too much. I'll go earlier in the day when it might be empty.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Common: lotus root, daikon radish, onions, carrot, cucumber, ginger, garlic, apple, bitter melon, cabbage .....