• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in NJ/Romantic Restaurants

Rosie

OK - my teenage kids have already told us they will be out that evening so my husbnad and I can be "alone" (don't know what they think we will actually do!! :wacko: ).

I've had a thought:

Set up a small bistro table in my den where there's a fireplace. Drape lovely tablecloth and set up candles. Have my husband (who is home being Mr. Mom) go to Wegman's earlier in the day and pick up something precooked and lovely. A bottle of Cakebread or Turley (depending on the entree selection) and we are set!

Hopefully the kids will find a friends house to sleep over that night!! :laugh:

Are you going out for Valentine's Day?

rosie, are you freakin' nuts - the big V.D. on a friday night?!?! :shock:

we ate out tonight at zoe's(my v.d. present - along with a good bottle of champagne) but on the night i will make a dinner at home - still deciding on the menu - thinking of salad - mixed greens with hearts of palm and artichoke, deviled crab en boule, and a dessert of raspberry tart. the usual prezzie will be a bottle of port and godivas

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

heading up to cafe panache (ramsey)for a pre-v-day with the outlaws. not terribly romantic, but it should do the trick. and to March in NYC for a post v-day dinner. can't deal with V-day proper. and having it fall on a friday is just going to wreak havoc on restaurants all over the country.

Edited by tommy (log)

heading up to cafe panache (ramsey)for a pre-v-day with the outlaws.  not terribly romantic, but it should do the trick.  and to March in NYC for a post v-day dinner.  can't deal with V-day proper.  and having it fall on a friday is just going to wreak havoc on restaurants all over the country.

Good call, Tommy!

Going out on Valentine's day is like going out on New Year's Eve or Mother's Day. Why waste your money for a rushed, unhappy, banquet like experience?

Enjoy it with your honey, maybe in the jacuzzi, with a bottle of cognac, or whatever floats your boat, so to speak...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Good call, Tommy!

Going out on Valentine's day is like going out on New Year's Eve or Mother's Day.  Why waste your money for a rushed, unhappy, banquet like experience?

Enjoy it with your honey, maybe in the jacuzzi, with a bottle of cognac, or whatever floats your boat, so to speak...

well, although *i* don't enjoy it, i can appreciate that many people do. i eat out probably 5-10 times a week. a lot of folks get out 5 times a year. and there is something to be said for the whole "experience" of going out on a "special" day like v-day or mom's-day.

and there is something to be said for the whole "experience" of going out on a "special" day like v-day or mom's-day.

OK, I'll call you on this one.

How many people do you know who honestly enjoy dining out on Mother's Day? Assigned seating, banquet type service, "special" menu, etc.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

How many people do you know who honestly enjoy dining out on Mother's Day?  Assigned seating, banquet type service, "special" menu, etc.

i don't associate with those types of people, so i couldn't name names or even begin to quantify in a way that would be a fair representation of the population, which, i assume, is what you're looking for. and if i did, i wouldn't name names for your enjoyment. but from my very unscientific study of mother's days and v-days for the past 15 years, i'm guessing there are more than a few. perhaps you should plop your butt in front of Amanda's, the Ryland Inn, or the Stage House Inn this year and take a survey. i'm guessing most will probably check off "tourist." :wink:

to each his own.

How many people do you know who honestly enjoy dining out on Mother's Day?  Assigned seating, banquet type service, "special" menu, etc.

i don't associate with those types of people, so i couldn't name names or even begin to quantify in a way that would be a fair representation of the population,

That's a decent and honorable answer, for which I thank you.

Happy Valentine's Day, however you choose to enjoy it :wub:

rancho gordo

Listen all, I'll be honest and say Mother's Day and the rest of the big family holidays are probably not run as well as can be with a lot of restaurant owners raping their customers. They basically look to make some hard cash. I don't disagree with their decisions but sometimes with lack of staff and service it doesn't work as well as it would normally.

( I close most holidays because I believe my staff should be home with their families).

Valentine's Day shouldn't be a tough, almost all tables are tables for two. This is a breeze. Any well round kitchen should be able to toss off dueces all night long and have a coupla cocktails while doing it. Go out on V-Day with somone you want to be with and have a good time. Just be careful with the pick you make. :unsure:

Lou

I agree with Lreda just choose your resturant wisely. If you dont like a banquet style service and food dont go to a place like that. Go somewhere where you wont be rushed and enjoy your day. Now im not saying there is anything wrong with staying home and having a good time. But dont knock the good restaurants by catagorising them all as banquet shit holes.

I concur with Lou as well. A quality restaurant will certainly be more than capable of handling a higher turnover on a special occasion such as Valentines day. I dine out quite often and when I have chose to go out on Valentines day I have not had a bad experiance. I think the choice of restaurant is very important - I like to pick a place that I am familiar with their service. Most better establishments put a great deal of thought and effort into making this a memorable meal in a good way.

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

Tommy, I have 2 reasons to run a special menu.

The 1st is if I use my regular menu, by next Weds when I begin ordering for the weekend tuna will be $2-2.50 higher per pound than usual, filet mignon $2-3 per pound more than usual and spinach, mesclun greens, wild mushrooms will all higher than usual in anticipation of the upcoming holiday.

The 2nd is that it's just easier when having a larger menu like I have to limit the choices so I can get the food out of the kitchen.

Also the thinking on V-Day is that there is nothing but parties of two sitting on my tables instead of 4's and 6's. As a matter of fact being V-Day falls on Friday and all tables being for 2, I might not do as many covers as I would on a regular Friday.

Lou

We run a normal menu, at the normal price.We do not normally turn tables, but i have some regulars that have booked knowing that they have a time slot.We will still only do 20 people.The ladies might get a rose if i'm feeling romantic. :wink:

The only cloud on the horizon is my right hand man has not returned from his holiday, so my good lady might have to come out of retirement for the night.The silver lining to this particular cloud is that i'm enjoying being back on the stove full time :biggrin:

edit...oops i'm not in NJ

Edited by Basildog (log)

I agree with all of you about Mothers Day, Valentines Day etc. But Valentines Day is also my Wedding Anniversary. (Silly girl, I thought he would never be able to forget our anniversay, not realizing that everone else wants to go out on the same evening). We have spent Valentines Day in Paris, London, Hong Kong, New York, Mauii, Tokyo, New Jersey, Melbourne and several times in front of the fire with a good meal Champagne and Vintage Port for me, Single Malt Scotch for him (25 year old Macallan). The only problem is that I am the only one who cooks - and cleans up :wub: .

We're going to try

LA Tartuseria Restaurant

1405 Grand Street

Hoboken, NJ 07030

201-792-2300

I've heard mixed reviews, although they all seem to agree it's PRICEY!!

We're using a gift certificate someone gave us for our wedding.

Edited by thereuare (log)