• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Linguica sausage, Portuguese style? Not, Chorizo!

Sid Post

Enough with the Chorizo!  Where can I find good Portuguese Linguica sausage or, barring that, REAL Spanish Chorizo?  I live in East Texas so anywhere about two hours outside of Dallas on I-20 or I-30 is good for me.  Texarkana or Shreveport are a distant probability if there is a good place for sausage there without anything closer.

TIA,

Sid

7 hours ago, Sid Post said:

Enough with the Chorizo!  Where can I find good Portuguese Linguica sausage or, barring that, REAL Spanish Chorizo?  I live in East Texas so anywhere about two hours outside of Dallas on I-20 or I-30 is good for me.  Texarkana or Shreveport are a distant probability if there is a good place for sausage there without anything closer.

TIA,

Sid

The internet is your friend.

Just mail order it.

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/

From Saveur...https://www.saveur.com/how-americas-best-portugese-market-ended-up-in-small-town-in-massachusetts/

https://www.tienda.com/food/chorizo.html

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mail order for meat products where I live isn't really an option.  Plus shipping irregularities are really bad.  I had a guaranteed 3-day package that took two weeks arrive today, well actually it is still at the Post Office!

After substandard local grocery store options and similar @#$*! from Walmart, I really want something that tastes good and has good quality.  Goo from a bunch of random animal parts they can't sell with poor quality spices might be acceptable during a food shortage brought on by panic buying but, ENOUGH!

Don't make me buy a $600 grinder, a $200 stuffer and, import some real spices (not the sawdust commonly sold at Walmart and the local grocery stores)!

I want some real sausage!  Slovacek's in West, Tx is ~4 hours away so, I can't make that drive more than a few times a year.  Now that it is cold out, Usinger's is on my watch list for a shipping deal!  I don't want to go that far North but, some day I hope to see Usinger's in person!

How many people's 'BUCKET LIST' includes sausage stops all across the nation?  😍

Edited by Sid Post (log)
  • Haha 1

With KitchenAid, it really depends on the specific model.  The Fiber/Plastic gears don't hold up very well.  I also don't want to burn out the one I bought ~30 years ago.  There is also a lot of difference in grind quality.  For the cost of the mixer grinder, you can buy a good quality 12# grinder that will work much better if you are grinding more than a really small amount (like a 1/2~1#).