• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Flavor Equation by Nik Sharma

Anna N

I pre-ordered this book and sometime after midnight it showed up in my Kindle library. I discovered it only a few hours ago. Naturally, I have had very little opportunity to form much of an opinion. But

The Guardian  has done quite a review with a very generous smattering of recipes from the book.

Anyone else anxious to explore this book?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I am!  My copy is supposed to arrive on Thursday.  

I've enjoyed cooking from Nik's previous book, Season, and am looking forward to this one.

It's an embarrassment of new cookbook riches chez @blue_dolphin!

I just knew you would have to at least look at a copy of this book! I’m so happy you will be getting it I look forward to hearing your views and seeing the dishes that you are inspired to make. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think there's lots of press out there about this book.  Last week, Evan Kleiman interviewed Nik on her radio show/podcast, Good Food.  It's available for listening here and it convinced me to put his raita recipe on my list, sight unseen!

Thanks. I just listened to this.

I am finding the book a challenging read. There is a part of me that is wishing that an editor could have reigned Nik in at times. It feels as if he is occasionally riding off in all directions at once. 

It  is a long book, 352 pages in the print edition, and it sometimes feels as if Nik couldn’t bear to leave out anything. 

These are just my very early impressions. I shall keep reading. 

Edited by Anna N
Capitalization (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My book arrived a little while ago.  It does look very dense!  

The Food52 cookbook club chose this book as a year-long bonus book for 2021.  I can see now that it could be a bit much to get through it in just one month.  I'll be happy to take my time with it!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I have this book and I'm fascinated. But I'm impatient (by nature) and have paused reading in an orderly fashion, so am leafing through recipes. To be fair, Nik lists a recipe as being representative for a concept he's trying to get across, and I've been taking a trip through some of those recipes.

Now I'm interested in translating Crispy Carrots with Garlic + Mint Tahini to the Anova Steam Oven and am looking for help. I'll post more about what I'm trying to translate on the Anova Precision Oven thread.

Here's the discussion.

Edited by TdeV
Add link (log)

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I have this book and I'm fascinated. But I'm impatient (by nature) and have paused reading in an orderly fashion, so am leafing through recipes. To be fair, Nik lists a recipe as being representative for a concept he's trying to get across, and I've been taking a trip through some of those recipes.

Now I'm interested in translating Crispy Carrots with Garlic + Mint Tahini to the Anova Steam Oven and am looking for help. I'll post more about what I'm trying to translate on the Anova Precision Oven thread.

Here's the discussion.

In a Facebook group cooking from this book, I saw people report good results with that recipe by oven roasting the carrots that had been dipped in egg and rolled in the rice crumbs instead of frying them.    I also saw one report of par-boiling the carrots first. 

A possible alternative for your menu,  the Couscous with Sesame-Roasted Carrots +Feta from the same book, p.154 has gotten a lot of positive comments as a side dish that one can prep ahead and serve at room temperature.  I'm sure you could skip the couscous if you are set on a carrots-only dish.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A possible alternative for your menu,  the Couscous with Sesame-Roasted Carrots +Feta from the same book, p.154 has gotten a lot of positive comments as a side dish that one can prep ahead and serve at room temperature.

This is a very promising choice, also. Thanks @blue_dolphin!

• Like 1