• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon & white chocolate truffle

Roxanne

I can't seem to find the answer by using the search bar...

I made a white chocolate & lemon truffle. It tasted amazing... but by the second day the lemon flavor disappeared completely. I tried again- same results. What can I do to make that lemon flavor stay in white chocolate?

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I can't seem to find the answer by using the search bar...

I made a white chocolate & lemon truffle. It tasted amazing... but by the second day the lemon flavor disappeared completely. I tried again- same results. What can I do to make that lemon flavor stay in white chocolate?

Are you using "truffle" in the true sense of a ganache or other filling rolled into a ball (or other shape) then dipped in chocolate or something such as cocoa powder, coconut, or nuts--or in the wider sense of a bonbon filled with ganache or other filling then sealed with chocolate?  If you are making a ganache and have Ewald Notter's book, his recipe for lemon is very lemony, and lastingly so.  He calls for both juice and zest.  But his is too fluid to roll into a ball.  If you need it to be firm enough to roll into a ball, then I think, as Kerry has already said, you can add (more) lemon zest and lemon oil.  For lemon oil, I strongly recommend Boyajian.  Some experts, such as Kirsten Tibballs, caution against leaving zest in a ganache, warning of textural changes over time, but I have never found this to be true.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Are you using "truffle" in the true sense of a ganache or other filling rolled into a ball (or other shape) then dipped in chocolate or something such as cocoa powder, coconut, or nuts--or in the wider sense of a bonbon filled with ganache or other filling then sealed with chocolate?  If you are making a ganache and have Ewald Notter's book, his recipe for lemon is very lemony, and lastingly so.  He calls for both juice and zest.  But his is too fluid to roll into a ball.  If you need it to be firm enough to roll into a ball, then I think, as Kerry has already said, you can add (more) lemon zest and lemon oil.  For lemon oil, I strongly recommend Boyajian.  Some experts, such as Kirsten Tibballs, caution against leaving zest in a ganache, warning of textural changes over time, but I have never found this to be true.

I would like to be able to do both a ball and as a bonbon. I'll check out all the resources you shared. Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, Jim D. said:

Which of Ewald Notter's books are you speaking of? The Art of the Chocolatier? or Chocolates & Confections?