• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oily chocolate chip cookies

jedovaty

@jedovaty Thanks for the summary and the photos.  Great descriptions and experiment.  :)

If you have more time at some point, do me a favor and try it with oats/xantham gum/potato starch just for yourself, please.  I think the cookies are great even if you do eat gluten, so you can share them with another friend.  Buckwheat is good, but it has a pronounced and sometimes overwhelming flavor, whereas the oat is a little more delicate.  Also, buckwheat, especially if you grind it yourself, will be grittier than a factory-processed oat flour.  FYI, when you use buckwheat, you want to mix it gently (treat it like it has gluten and don't overmix) because it gets gluey fast.

Also, for my potato starch suggestion, I was basing my numbers off of your original recipe, sorry if I wasn't clear!  Looks like you cut the recipe in half to test, so I would have suggested 32g.

@Emily440 How did you come up with 65g of potato starch?  The tapioca + corn starch in the original recipe comes to ~50g, not 65.. were you comparing starch level in white rice vs oats to make up the difference, or is there a magic formula when swapping between the starches?