• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate bombs

JeanneCake

4 minutes ago, CaliPoutine said:

I fully admit to being a food snob. I'm more of a baker than a candy maker.  LOL. Btw,  Long ago, I lived in SW Ontario and had a very popular cooking for seniors thread here on Eg.  Those were the days. 

Hey, there you are! We've missed you.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, CaliPoutine said:

Awww, thank you.  I spend more time on FB these days.  Are you over there? 

'Fraid not. eG and Nextdoor are my only social media indulgences.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 1/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, jimb0 said:

i honestly try not to be too much of a snob but...grody. 

A good character trait to have... but sometimes it's entirely warranted to go ahead and be a snob. This sounds like one of those occasions. Candy melt and pudding mix hot chocolate bombs. Bleh. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

36 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

A good character trait to have... but sometimes it's entirely warranted to go ahead and be a snob. This sounds like one of those occasions. Candy melt and pudding mix hot chocolate bombs. Bleh. :D

i was just reading some chocolate posts around the internet and found a thread...elsewhere...about how to get shiny chocolates and one person piped up with "i just painted melted crisco on top of mine."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Actually, I remember making chocolate-covered strawberries, etc. (back in the day). IIRC, one of the ingredients was a tablespoon of Crisco. Considering I (we) had zero chocolate experience, the dipped fruit came out decent. Also, I don't remember any "off" flavors. I think Crisco may be a shortcut for inexperienced people working with chocolate.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Actually, I remember making chocolate-covered strawberries, etc. (back in the day). IIRC, one of the ingredients was a tablespoon of Crisco. Considering I (we) had zero chocolate experience, the dipped fruit came out decent. Also, I don't remember any "off" flavors. I think Crisco may be a shortcut for inexperienced people working with chocolate.

You're right.  You'll find that trick in every "community cookbook".  At least they are using real chocolate and not that horrible candy coating stuff.  Today I see a lot of folks using coconut oil to harden a shell of chocolate.  I'm betting a LOT of folks are adding a little of it when trying to make the bombs.

that’s absolutely a shortcut for working with chocolates but typically you add the fat to the melted chocolate. painting a layer of crisco on top of your finished chocolate so that the first taste you get is going to be pure plain crisco is something altogether different imo. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Today I see a lot of folks using coconut oil to harden a shell of chocolate. 

I thought that had the opposite effect? Or maybe it's about ratios? I know that's the trick behind making meltaways, something to do with the interaction between the fats in coconut oil and chocolate that makes that softish fast melting texture.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

coconut oil at least typically has a lower melting point than cocoa butter even before you get into the idea of disrupting crystal formation. 

i know some use coconut oil to make a diy magic shell though. 

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

At least they rarely suggest adding paraffin anymore - although I bet you'll find the suggestion in a lot of the older community cookbooks.

Yeah, I have a book from the mid 80's that was among the books I inherited from my mom called Chocolates & Petit Fours that calls for that in some of the chocolate recipes. I haven't been tempted to try it. 😁

EDIT: After a quick peek, I have to apologize to Ms. Beverley Sutherland Smith for attributing the above information to her book. I'm not sure which book I'm thinking of but it's apparently not that one. 😆

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, Kerry Beal said:

A rather hilarious post on a chocolate forum I follow by one of our eG members - @Louise nadine brill - thought here would be a great place to share it.

Haha...i am just seeing that you posted this here 😂😂My Dad is a card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2