• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Color brix in chocolate?

Emily440

10 minutes ago, Emily440 said:

Has anyone used these color brix in tempered white chocolate before?  Curious what your experience was like, if so.  Seems like it could save a step of spraying a mold color by coloring the white chocolate used to mold the chocolate instead.

https://chefrubber.com/brix/

Clearly they are copying Power Flowers - so should work as long as they are the same.

12 minutes ago, Emily440 said:

Seems like it could save a step of spraying a mold color by coloring the white chocolate used to mold the chocolate instead.

It would save a step, but then you’d have a bunch of excess colored white chocolate sitting around. Or if you often do multiple colors, having one solid color backing instead of white will change how the top colors look.  

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

It would save a step, but then you’d have a bunch of excess colored white chocolate sitting around. Or if you often do multiple colors, having one solid color backing instead of white will change how the top colors look.  

Of course you could always use it to make your own coloured cocoa butter!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Of course you could always use it to make your own coloured cocoa butter!

Of course!  But I'm curious why they suggest these for coloring white chocolate specifically, and what the difference is between their brix and fat dispersible powder color.  Just marketing?

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Power Flowers are made to colour white chocolate.

What are they doing with all this colored white chocolate?   Maybe its more of a hotel/high volume thing, to quickly make colorful garnishes.

Admittedly, I rarely shell in white, but say you're making three colors of bonbons.  You can temper three colors of cocoa butter then temper a bunch of white chocolate for the shells then temper it again for the bottoms, that's 5 things, or you can temper each of three colors of white chocolate twice, once for the shell and once for the bottom, that's 6 things.  (which only takes a moment with the EZ temper but is a drag if you're doing it by hand 😉) I guess you could bottom them all in white, thus saving 2 steps ...

I think they're just trying to sell you more color! 🤪

Edited by pastrygirl (log)