• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Cooking Booklets and Pamphlets

David Ross

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I find it disturbing that the woman on the cover has no shoulders or upper arms lol......

Any rabbit recipes in there?

No recipes specifically for rabbit or hare, but general notes on how to cook "Meat, Poultry and Game."  Here's a notation on game, "Game is one of the most expensive meats and the average family can indulge in it only occasionally...dark meated game like wild ducks and grouse, should be cooked rare, but lamb, veal, pork, chicken, partridge and some birds are cooked well done."

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

I find it disturbing that the woman on the cover has no shoulders or upper arms lol......

Any rabbit recipes in there?

Cleaver accident. Her expression is a bit disturbing too. She definitely knows something we don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Out in The Kitchen," Boston, Little and Brown Company, 1927.  This children's book measures 6" x 7 1/2" and is a story with color illustrations about the different characters in the kitchen.  My Grandparents bought it for my Mother, who was three at the time.  There aren't any recipes, but what a wonderful way to introduce children into the world of the kitchen.  It must be fairly rare as I didn't find it listed on eBay.  My Mother was a good cook, and maybe this was one of her earliest introductions.

Out in the Kitchen 1927.jpeg

Out in the KItchen-3.jpeg

Out in the Kitchen-4.jpeg

Out in the Kitchen-7.jpeg

Out in the Kitchen-8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

While pulling some old books off the shelf...

IMG_3520.thumb.jpeg.c24605735a789191eb4db46233209553.jpeg

IMG_3521.thumb.jpeg.eb99ac7a1672a2435821bf785e1e9155.jpeg

IMG_3522.thumb.jpeg.eb60df20fbafb6da162d353bbbf3607e.jpeg

Brilliant and I love that brand name, "Sno-Sheen" Cake Flour.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Ross said:

"Out in The Kitchen," Boston, Little and Brown Company, 1927.  This children's book measures 6" x 7 1/2" and is a story with color illustrations about the different characters in the kitchen.  My Grandparents bought it for my Mother, who was three at the time.  There aren't any recipes, but what a wonderful way to introduce children into the world of the kitchen.  It must be fairly rare as I didn't find it listed on eBay.  My Mother was a good cook, and maybe this was one of her earliest introductions.

Oh, my!  Those illustrations!  How I wish I could find that!  I love vintage children's books with lovely illustrations.  I don't think I'll be getting this one.  It's on Amazon for $768.57!!!  This one (another kitchen book for kids) is by the same author and I can't even find it for sale anywhere!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Oh, my!  Those illustrations!  How I wish I could find that!  I love vintage children's books with lovely illustrations.  I don't think I'll be getting this one.  It's on Amazon for $768.57!!!  This one (another kitchen book for kids) is by the same author and I can't even find it for sale anywhere!

Wow.  I took a look and you're right, that's a big ticket cookbook. I couldn't find it on eBay, but I found the author.  His books are precious with all of the illustrations.  I love the cover with the chairs, the table, broom and water pitchers and all the wooden clothes pins drawn like characters.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, David Ross said:

Seeing this wonderful book and the drawings made me think I had something similar...I've dug through a short stack of my stuff, but not all of it yet.  I might only be thinking of the  following booklet....it reminds me of his type of illustration.  No where in the book does it give any credit to who drew it, but it was done in 1924.

thumbnail_IMG_0514.jpg.5f34a9ec045fd252294945ee9ac0a67e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0515.jpg.63ef5547b8569ce9cb9674d94a3dbdc2.jpg

(excuse the staining...someone must have gotten messy while making their salad dressing lol)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Seeing this wonderful book and the drawings made me think I had something similar...I've dug through a short stack of my stuff, but not all of it yet.  I might only be thinking of the  following booklet....it reminds me of his type of illustration.  No where in the book does it give any credit to who drew it, but it was done in 1924.

thumbnail_IMG_0514.jpg.5f34a9ec045fd252294945ee9ac0a67e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0515.jpg.63ef5547b8569ce9cb9674d94a3dbdc2.jpg

(excuse the staining...someone must have gotten messy while making their salad dressing lol)

that's brilliant with the dancing vegetables and lettuce. I wish we had this type of booklet today.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

Wow.  I took a look and you're right, that's a big ticket cookbook. I couldn't find it on eBay, but I found the author.  His books are precious with all of the illustrations.  I love the cover with the chairs, the table, broom and water pitchers and all the wooden clothes pins drawn like characters.

The illustrations by Eugenie Wireman are just fantastic! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The illustrations by Eugenie Wireman are just fantastic! 

They are charming.  I'm getting ready to order a book illustrated by her (sadly, NOT one of the foods ones) at abebooks.com.  I'm just waiting to hear how many illustrations are in the book before I pull the trigger.  

• Like 1

One of my former employees saw our discussion and sent me this little gem. It measures only 5 1/2 x 4 1/4, and was published by the Nordic Wear Company of Minneapolis.  It's full of recipes and then the bakeware, and prices, to order from this tiny booklet.  Funny but there isn't an address or phone number, so I suppose you just rang up the operator and asked for Nordic Ware in Minneapolis.  The color printing tells me it's from the late 50s or early 60s. Nordic Ware is still in business today and has some of the most unique shapes and sizes of bakeware pans.

Vintage Nordic Ware.jpeg

Vintage Nordic Ware #2.jpeg

Vintage Nordic Ware #3.jpeg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

But but but what's on pages 21 and 24?  

Curious minds have to know. Page 21 is more of their bakeware, with lots of heart-shaped pans for Valentines Day. Page 24 is recipes, including Danish Ebleskiver's, and Mrs. Warwick's Bundt Cake-

Vintage Nordic Ware #5.jpeg

Vintage Nordic Ware #4.jpeg

Vintage Nordic Ware #4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I both touted Nordic Ware (on eG) and bought Nordic Ware recently!

I bought some over the holidays to use for fruitcakes.  They're bundt pan cakes but the designs are fantastic for fruitcakes.

• Like 2

I haven't done a count, but I'd say I have about 25 of these booklets, from Good Housekeeping.  Measuring 6 x 8 1/2, they were published in 1958 by the Hearst Corporation.  I think that my Grandmother or Mother must have gotten them along with their magazine subscription, or they were given the opportunity to buy them.  There isn't any price or information inside where and how to get the booklets.  

Good Housekeeping Company Meals 1.jpeg

Good Housekeeping Company Meals 2.jpeg

Good Housekeeping Salads 2.jpegGood Housekeeping Salads.jpeg

Quick n'easy.jpegquick n'easy 2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that the salad book has a vase of scallions. Here I thought that technique for keeping them around longer was a new discovery! It must have been new only to me. :D

Does every photo in the Quick and Easy book show a time piece? 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Interesting that the salad book has a vase of scallions. Here I thought that technique for keeping them around longer was a new discovery! It must have been new only to me. :D

Everything old is new again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

Does every photo in the Quick and Easy book show a time piece? 

No timepieces in other color photos and I'm still trying to figure that one out.  I'm not sure if it means eat the jellied fruit at 630am or pm or if it only takes 25 minutes to prepare. Or is fruit timeless.  Fruit from around the world?  Or an old movie prop.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

It reminded me of the old celery vases.  https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/celery-vase

ETA: Eater wrotw a. bout scallions in vase last year It’s that kind of proper specificity that elevates “regrowing scallions” to “displaying my prized greens for the enjoyment and envy of my guests cat.” Make your victory sill look truly victorious, give your glorious sprouts the pomp they deserve." It’s that kind of proper specificity that elevates “regrowing scallions” to “displaying my prized greens for the enjoyment and envy of my guests cat.” Make your victory sill look truly victorious, give your glorious sprouts the pomp they deserve" It’s that kind of proper specificity that elevates “regrowing scallions” to “displaying my prized greens for the enjoyment and envy of my guests cat.” Make your victory sill look truly victorious, give your glorious sprouts the pomp they deserve. https://www.eater.com/2020/4/29/21240058/celery-vase-victorian-trend-vintage-growing-scallions33

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another one of my former employees sent me this little booklet and it's very rare indeed.  "Oysters and Fish by Thomas J. Murrey, 1888."  Hardcover and only measuring 4" x 6" it's in remarkable condition for its age. The book is dedicated to "The Inventor of the "Sheldon Close-Top Gas-Stove...Who spend the best part of his life solving the perplexed problem of Economy in Fuel and Labor for our homes, and to those gentlemen connected with gas companies, who assisted and encourage him, this little work is most respectfully dedicated by the Author."

Mr. Thomas was also the author of Fifty Soups, Fifty Salads, Breakfast Dainties, Puddings and Dainty Desserts, The Book of Entrees, Cookery for Invalids (also in my collection), Practical Carving, Luncheon and Valuable Cooking Recipes."  American home cooks were quite busy in the kitchen in 1888.

These are the categories in the booklet-

Oysters

Cooked Oysters, including a recipe for "Trip with Oysters"

Clams

Scallops

Mussels

Lobster

Oysters and Crabs

Shrimps

Prawns

Crayfish

Salmon, including recipes for Salmon in Jelly, Salmon German Style and Salmon a la-Italienne

Codfish

Brook Trout

Miscellaneous, including recipes for Fricassed Eels, Pan Bass with Anchovy Butter and Broiled Sheeps Head

The only illustrations are on the cover, the recipes and information inside the booklet just plain text.  There are a few pencil scribbles on a couple of pages as if a child drew on the book, but what a treasure this one is.  This is what Mr. Murrey says about Oysters-"A Barrel of Oysters-Persons living away from the city are advisted to purchase oysters by the barrel.  If kept with the deep shell down, and in a cool place, they will live a long time. The novice is likely to bruise fingers in vain attempts to open them; but, like carving, the opening of oysters should be part of a man's education. Then there is the charm of roasting the oysters in the old-fashioned fire place.  Here the novice may burn a finger or two, but then it's fun for the youngsters."

Oysters and Fish, 1888.jpeg

A Barrel of Oysters.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

Another one of my former employees sent me this little booklet and it's very rare indeed.  "Oysters and Fish by Thomas J. Murrey, 1888."  Hardcover and only measuring 4" x 6" it's in remarkable condition for its age. The book is dedicated to "The Inventor of the "Sheldon Close-Top Gas-Stove...Who spend the best part of his life solving the perplexed problem of Economy in Fuel and Labor for our homes, and to those gentlemen connected with gas companies, who assisted and encourage him, this little work is most respectfully dedicated by the Author."

Mr. Thomas was also the author of Fifty Soups, Fifty Salads, Breakfast Dainties, Puddings and Dainty Desserts, The Book of Entrees, Cookery for Invalids (also in my collection), Practical Carving, Luncheon and Valuable Cooking Recipes."  American home cooks were quite busy in the kitchen in 1888.

These are the categories in the booklet-

Oysters

Cooked Oysters, including a recipe for "Trip with Oysters"

Clams

Scallops

Mussels

Lobster

Oysters and Crabs

Shrimps

Prawns

Crayfish

Salmon, including recipes for Salmon in Jelly, Salmon German Style and Salmon a la-Italienne

Codfish

Brook Trout

Miscellaneous, including recipes for Fricassed Eels, Pan Bass with Anchovy Butter and Broiled Sheeps Head

The only illustrations are on the cover, the recipes and information inside the booklet just plain text.  There are a few pencil scribbles on a couple of pages as if a child drew on the book, but what a treasure this one is.  This is what Mr. Murrey says about Oysters-"A Barrel of Oysters-Persons living away from the city are advisted to purchase oysters by the barrel.  If kept with the deep shell down, and in a cool place, they will live a long time. The novice is likely to bruise fingers in vain attempts to open them; but, like carving, the opening of oysters should be part of a man's education. Then there is the charm of roasting the oysters in the old-fashioned fire place.  Here the novice may burn a finger or two, but then it's fun for the youngsters."

Oysters and Fish, 1888.jpeg

A Barrel of Oysters.jpeg

Wow!  $89 at abebooks.com!!!

• Like 2