Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Cooking Booklets and Pamphlets


Recommended Posts

image.thumb.jpeg.1d9b9fdbb95aac60bac160b3ca8b9871.jpeg

 

 

OK, I’ll ask.... what IS it? A harmless cake or a frosted terrine of some sort?

Edited by BetD (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a few of mine to add to the mix....

 

DA9E1C26-7873-491B-882A-377797F8947D.jpeg

  • Like 6

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

1950 GE fridge.  Did mother’s really do matching mother/daughter outfits:

You should have seen my mom and I in the late 70's for Easter.......

 

 

I'm loving these....I'm seeing a bunch that I also have but also so many new ones!  Thanks all for sharing :) 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You should have seen my mom and I in the late 70's for Easter.......

 

 

I'm loving these....I'm seeing a bunch that I also have but also so many new ones!  Thanks all for sharing :) 

Oh yes mm + daughters. When someone brought us kilts (really red plaid) from a Scotland trip we were a sight to behold. The leather straps and giant safety pin.... I think the pattern companies like McCall, Simplicity, and Butterick even had taylored one to include adult & kid sizes. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, heidih said:

McCall, Simplicity, and Butterick

Yeah, I'm sure either my mom or great grandmother made ours out of one of those patterns.  I remember being so cold (always cold in KS for Easter).  White fabric with pink rose buds (I think).  My mom may tell me I'm delusional lol.

 

And back to food....always a jello salad that looks very similar to a lot of things in these booklets lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

And back to food....always a jello salad that looks very similar to a lot of things in these booklets lol.

Ahh Jello molds. A whole nother specialty topic. For some reason as a teen I had a beautiful fish one with lots of detail. Copper colored - I preferred it as wall decor. Had a little ring on one end to hang.  The book,ets and cookbooks made jello look so appealing - shimmery, glass like, and colorful.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have never eaten an MRE but I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of “meals ready to eat”. If I put my mind to it I can come up with many such meals that will be fast, tasty, nutritious and miles ahead of anything in the booklet. Think cheese and crackers, almost anything on toast. Nigel Slater is my go-to for MREs. I just forget to consult him often enough. And no matter what I say, if I see those initials my heart will beat a little faster and I will be unable to resist a little research. 

 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156507-mres-military-meals-ready-to-eat/?tab=comments#elShareItem_1648583589_menu

 

So sad they never continued with the topic.  I'm sure somewhere Mort Walker is smiling.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have never eaten an MRE but I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of “meals ready to eat”. If I put my mind to it I can come up with many such meals that will be fast, tasty, nutritious and miles ahead of anything in the booklet. Think cheese and crackers, almost anything on toast. Nigel Slater is my go-to for MREs. I just forget to consult him often enough. And no matter what I say, if I see those initials my heart will beat a little faster and I will be unable to resist a little research. 

If only Nigel Slater designed MREs for the armed forces. You may not have had an MRE as provided by the military, but I know you've had Spam, and that's the closest civilian relative I can think of. No toasters in the trenches--too much noise when they pop up. A dead giveaway if the toast flies out above ground.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

No toasters in the trenches--too much noise when they pop up. A dead giveaway if the toast flies out above ground.

 

You don't need a toaster to make toast!

  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156507-mres-military-meals-ready-to-eat/?tab=comments#elShareItem_1648583589_menu

 

So sad they never continued with the topic.  I'm sure somewhere Mort Walker is smiling.

 

Thanks. I was aware that that topic existed. I even remember seeing MRE’s at one point being offered at Costco. However, I don’t want a month’s worth! 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

As long as you have an APO.

 

 

Or a toasting fork and a flame. I very much doubt that any soldiers in the trenches in WW1 had ever even seen a pop-up toaster, largely because they hadn't yet been invented!

My mother still has her toasting fork and I have happy memories of making toast over the fire in the 1950s. She doesn't have an open fire now!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

Or a toasting fork and a flame. I very much doubt that any soldiers in the trenches in WW1 had ever even seen a pop-up toaster, largely because they hadn't yet been invented!

My mother still has her toasting fork and I have happy memories of making toast over the fire in the 1950s. She doesn't have an open fire now!

Not sure how accurate my memory is but I believe that a toasting fork was an integral part of fireplace accoutrements back in the day. Like you I can recall toasting bread in front of the coal fire. I have no recollection of toasters of any sort. 

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not sure how accurate my memory is but I believe that a toasting fork was an integral part of fireplace accoutrements back in the day. Like you I can recall toasting bread in front of the coal fire. I have no recollection of toasters of any sort. 

 

Exactly

  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

Or a toasting fork and a flame. I very much doubt that any soldiers in the trenches in WW1 had ever even seen a pop-up toaster, largely because they hadn't yet been invented!

My mother still has her toasting fork and I have happy memories of making toast over the fire in the 1950s. She doesn't have an open fire now!

No personal electrical appliances in the trenches? Who knew? Not even a silent Sunbeam stealth toaster? Wherever you were hunkered down, if you were packing MRE's you probably didn't have sliced bread, either. Maybe a toast fork can be weaponized, because it wouldn't be very useful without a fire, which you also couldn't have. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was aware that that topic existed. I even remember seeing MRE’s at one point being offered at Costco. However, I don’t want a month’s worth! 

 

2021 could get worse.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

2021 could get worse.

 

And you suspect that MREs could improve it? 😂

  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Jane Ashley's Newest Recipes for Better Meals, 1952.  Sponsored by the Corn Products Refining Company of NY.  There isn't a section devoted to what refined corn products are, but in the recipes you can see corn syrup, corn oil, corn starch and margarine.  The recipes look to be easy to prepare in the style of the times geared toward busy housewives.  

Vintage Cooking Booklets #1.jpeg

 

Vintage Cooking Booklets #2.jpeg

 

Vintage Cooking Booklets #3.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting to see Mazola described as "liquid shortening". Is it the same product that we now call Mazola corn oil, or were there changes made?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It's interesting to see Mazola described as "liquid shortening". Is it the same product that we now call Mazola corn oil, or were there changes made?

That's what I think.  It reads like an attempt to come up with a term that will make it sound more appealing or something.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David Ross said:

Jane Ashley's Newest Recipes for Better Meals, 1952.  Sponsored by the Corn Products Refining Company of NY.  There isn't a section devoted to what refined corn products are, but in the recipes you can see corn syrup, corn oil, corn starch and margarine.  The recipes look to be easy to prepare in the style of the times geared toward busy housewives.  

Vintage Cooking Booklets #1.jpeg

 

Vintage Cooking Booklets #2.jpeg

 

Vintage Cooking Booklets #3.jpeg

The mention of "salad oil" reminds me of my mom years ago searching every grocery store she went into looking for "salad oil".  She would not believe that it was the same thing as vegetable oil and swore it tasted different.  😁

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By OliverB
      I just received a copy of "The Cook's Book - Concise Edition" edited by Jill Norman, and now I'm curious, what's the difference to the full edition? Supposedly it has 648 pages compared to 496 in this edition, and it appears to be much larger in size if the info on us.dk.com is correct. Other than that I can't find any info what the difference might be. It's a neat book with lots of photos about techniques etc, and lots of recipes. As with any DK book production values are high.
      If the contents are the same, I'm happy with the smaller version, but I'd really like to know what I might be missing on those 150 or so pages. If it's just filler, I don't care. If it's some fantastic recipes, I do care....
      Anybody here know both editions? Google was so far of no help. Lots of the full edition are to be had used as well, I'd be happy giving this one as a gift and ordering the full edition, if it's worth it.
      Thanks!
      Oliver
    • By devlin
      Say you were rounded up with a group of folks and either had a skill to offer in exchange for a comfy room and some other niceties or were sent off to a slag heap to toil away in the hot sun every day for 16 hours, what 3 books would you want to take with you to enable you to cook and bake such fabulous foodstuffs that your kidnappers would keep you over some poor schlub who could cook only beans and rice and the occasional dry biscuit?
    • By mixmaster b
      I am interested in getting some cookbooks that cover the basics of pastry and baking--not bread, necessarily, but dessert, cakes, cookies, etc. I searched a few other cookbook threads but did not have luck on finding books on pastry.
      My interest is in fairly classic French and European style baking, and I need a book that covers technique. Pictures would also be much appreciated--I like both the step by step pix or great pictures of the end product.
      Right now, I have Desserts and Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme. (I love these and have had good results from the recipes, but feel I should start with a more classic approach.) La Varenne Pratique has provided some good starting points, but I would like to find a book with more focus on baking.
      I was thinking about the Payard book. Any comments? Suggestions would be much appreciated! In case it applies, I am a home cook and am slightly more skilled than a total beginner.
      Thanks!
    • By liuzhou
      Congratulations are due to Fuchsia Dunlop, whose "Food of Sichuan" has just been published in a Chinese language version - a rare honour here. I've ordered a couple of copies as gifts for local friends who loved the Engish version, but struggled with some language issues.
       

      《川菜》,
      中信出版社。
       
       
    • By Brooke Dojny
      Fried Clams (From the New England Clamshack Cookbook)
      Serves 4 as Appetizer.
      Reprinted with permission from The New England Clamshack Cookbook by Brooke Dojny, 2003

      Vegetable Oil or solid white shortening for frying, such as Crisco
      2-1/2 pt shucked, medium-sized whole-belly soft-shell clams
      1-1/2 c evaporated milk
      1-1/2 c yellow corn flour
      3/4 c pastry flour, cake flour or all-purpose flour
      tartar sauce
      lemon wedges

      1. Heat the oil or shortening over medium heat in a deep fryer or heavy, deep pot until it reaches 350 degrees F.
      2. Rinse the clams gently if they are muddy, and dry on paper towels.
      3. Pour the evaporated milk into a large bowl. In another large bowl, stir together the corn flour and pastry flour.
      4. Using your hands, drip about one third of the clams into the milk, letting the excess liquid drain off. Dredge the clams in the flour mixture, using your hands to make sure each clam is evenly coated. Transfer to a colander or large strainer and shake gently to remove the excess flour.
      5. Slide the clams into the hot fat and deep-fry until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the clams. (Cooked clams can be kept warm in a slow oven while you finish the remaining frying.)
      6. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
      Keywords: Seafood, Appetizer, American
      ( RG468 )
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...