• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Cooking Booklets and Pamphlets

David Ross

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

My MIL sent my husband to school with a peanut butter and mayo sandwich. Is it in there? 

I remember I only saw peanut butter, but I'll look again.  I bet there are many versions on peanut butter.

5 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My MIL sent my husband to school with a peanut butter and mayo sandwich. Is it in there? 

I remember I only saw peanut butter, but I'll look again.  I bet there are many versions on peanut butter.

This is a small booklet I found at a vintage shop.  A real find.  Produced by the Ford Motor Company.  The cover is missing somewhere, but I think it dates to the early 1950's when car companies were promoting the highway system.  I shared some of these restaurants with a friend in New York and a few of them are still around.  This is one restaurant from Connecticut that gives you an example of the format of the booklet.  

Ford Best Places to Eat.jpeg

Ford Motor Company Restaurant Book.jpeg

Stonehenge Inn.jpeg

• Like 4

Trying to decide what that interesting little tureen(?) of something is, sitting atop the Mississippi River bridging Arkansas and Mississippi on the map spread. Most of the others I could figure.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

27 minutes ago, kayb said:

Trying to decide what that interesting little tureen(?) of something is, sitting atop the Mississippi River bridging Arkansas and Mississippi on the map spread. Most of the others I could figure.

I'll get the booklet out and check.  Interesting.

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

I'll get the booklet out and check.  Interesting.

I was thinking it was a pot of gumbo or something that would be served in that Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana area but the illustration isn't found on any of the restaurant pages from that area  

20 hours ago, kayb said:

Huh. It will remain a mystery!

Was there an Arkansas restaurant? Tennessee?

Yes! 

Arkansas-

The Hotel Sam Peck, "Escalloped Chicken"

The Crescent Hotel, "Huckleberry Muffins"

Tennessee-

Edgerton's Dutch Manor, "Chocolate Yeast Cake"

Norris Park Tea Room, "Norris Park Rolls"

New Gatlinburg Inn, "Coconut Pie"

Cupboard Tea Room, "Nut Souffle"

Buckhorn Inn, "Corn Pudding"

Brookwood Farms, "Sweet Potato Souffle"

Alas, the Hotel Sam Peck is no more, sadly. The Crescent has been open, then closed, then open again. It's allegedly haunted. I've always wanted to stay there and see the ghost.

I don't know any of the Tennessee ones. Some I recognize as being in East Tennessee.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, kayb said:

Alas, the Hotel Sam Peck is no more, sadly. The Crescent has been open, then closed, then open again. It's allegedly haunted. I've always wanted to stay there and see the ghost.

I don't know any of the Tennessee ones. Some I recognize as being in East Tennessee.

This is how they describe The Crescent, "Perched on the crest of one of the Ozark Mountains, this resort hotel in the old tradition is surrounded by the hilly town of Eureka, Springs. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served. Overnight accommodations and vacation facilities. Closed November 15-April 1. 

Great stuff, indeed... I would love to have a look at the “Beetle Bailey” MRE one.

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

42 minutes ago, BetD said:

Great stuff, indeed... I would love to have a look at the “Beetle Bailey” MRE one.

That one caught my eye, too. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Anna N and @BetD Here are a few pix from the inside of the Mort Walker. As you can see, the back cover is missing a piece. Boo. This booklet was sponsored by Tabasco.

Thank you.

As so often happens with such things (according to Pooh) the anticipation is everything:

“... although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were....”

What was I expecting? Haute cuisine?

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you.

As so often happens with such things (according to Pooh) the anticipation is everything:

“... although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were....”

What was I expecting? Haute cuisine?

If you've ever had an MRE, you know there isn't much you can to make them better. I reckon powdered catsup and Tabasco sauce are about as good as it  gets. 😆

Edited by Maison Rustique
fix typo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

22 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Anna N and @BetD Here are a few pix from the inside of the Mort Walker. As you can see, the back cover is missing a piece. Boo. This booklet was sponsored by Tabasco.

ckbk1.jpg

ckck2.jpg

ckbk3.jpg

ckbk4.jpg

Thanks!!  I got a kick out of the titles  😀

• Haha 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

1 minute ago, Maison Rustique said:

If you've ever had an MRE, you know there isn't much you can to make them better. I reckon powdered catsup and Tabasco sauce are about as sod as it  gets. 😆

I have never eaten an MRE but I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of “meals ready to eat”. If I put my mind to it I can come up with many such meals that will be fast, tasty, nutritious and miles ahead of anything in the booklet. Think cheese and crackers, almost anything on toast. Nigel Slater is my go-to for MREs. I just forget to consult him often enough. And no matter what I say, if I see those initials my heart will beat a little faster and I will be unable to resist a little research. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Maison Rustique – the graphics on those pamphlets are fantastic.  I would be tempted to frame some of them. 

Here’s one from Duke Power, which must have belonged to my grandmother since Duke was NC and VA was VEPCO:

IMG_4005.thumb.jpg.7d024b0f971b1c748cd30ffd4842e441.jpg

The back of the booklet.  I love that he’s Electric Santa on the front and Electric Formal Guy on the back:

IMG_4006.thumb.jpg.33c1b3def01796bf73d7bf6c6409b4d8.jpg

1950 GE fridge.  Did mother’s really do matching mother/daughter outfits:

IMG_4007.thumb.jpg.59c65a0d0e854b768328d5d3b31d996c.jpg

As unappetizing as it gets:

IMG_4011.thumb.jpg.bd4538eb31345f775be99ebea4ecb093.jpg

Front and back of this one:

IMG_4012.thumb.jpg.42fadc29f664930b636d48143a0399d7.jpg

IMG_4014.thumb.jpg.325b02e0045ec1ee6f5bba687439472d.jpg

I feel like we’re supposed to know who she is.  And I love the snarky dedication:

IMG_4013.jpg.272c1ca4794d4e1b3461f780052cbc58.jpg

LOL

I believe that there have to be a lot more of these somewhere in my house.  I remember having dozens of them.  But I can’t find them right now.  I really hope I didn’t get firm with myself and purge them. 😨

• Like 6