• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

Hello, 

I needed to ask if I can change the normal technique of making a biryani: 

STANDARD COOKBOOK TECHNIQUE 

1. Saute: You saute the meat, garlic/ginger/onions 

2. Boil: then you boil this in water for 40 min 

3. Add Rice and Spices: you add rice the spices (cardamom, cinnamon stick, etc.) into the water and cook for another 15 min until rice absorbs all water

QUESTION: 

1. Can I just boil the spices with the meat in step 2 (i.e., braise the meat with the spices) so that the spices get infused in the water and meat more? I read on Cooks Illustrated not to boil the spice more than 30 min (not sure why?) 

2. I usually cook rice at 1 cup rice to 1.5 cup water. But this ratio leaves soggy rice with too much water. Is the ratio closer to 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water? Or less? Does anyone have comments on the right ratio? 

thank you 

eugenep

eugenep

Hello, 

I needed to ask if I can change the normal technique of making a biryani: 

3. Add Rice and Spices: you add rice the spices (cardamom, cinnamon stick, etc.) into the water and cook for another 15 min until rice absorbs all water

QUESTION: 

1. Can I just boil the spices with the meat in step 2 so that the spices get infused in the water and meat more? I read on Cooks Illustrated not to boil the spice more than 30 min (not sure why?) 

2. I usually cook rice at 1 cup rice to 1.5 cup water. But this ratio leaves soggy rice with too much water. Is the ratio closer to 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water? Or less? Does anyone have comments on the right ratio? 

thank you 

eugenep

eugenep

Hello, 

I needed to ask: 

QUESTION: 

1. Can I just boil the spices with the meat in step 2 so that the spices get infused in the water and meat more? I read on Cooks Illustrated not to boil the spice more than 30 min (not sure why?) 

thank you