• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "This Will Make It Taste Good", by Vivian Howard

Shelby

As I was reminded that I haven’t made LGD in a while, and I had 2 jars of olives, I made a quick grocery run for some fresh herbs and a nice, fat, organic lemon. Made a batch and used it to dress some baked cod fillets for dinner. I have some Persian cukes and I think I will made a salad with them, some feta on top sounds good.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Some more cooking with the Red Weapons p 104 that I made last week:

Give the Gift of Pickled Shrimp p 109 - I know @Shelby made these when the book first came out and liked them.  I agree. Love the idea of using some of the oil to sauté the shrimp and will steal that for a pasta dish.  The shrimp came out tender and full of flavor.  Perfect to set up ahead and have an easy no-cook dish to pull out of the fridge on a hot evening.

CE0BA676-3F93-45F9-B072-D0FC34E84814_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d329d765c0c3e538ade01d18df9fb6be.jpeg

Feisty Creamycado Dressing p 127 - The photo of this in the book looks orange but mine is decidedly green. I enjoyed it as a dip for tots.  I'll use the Red Weapon/avocado combo again, likely just mashed with a fork for a quick guac shortcut.

B8030F1C-A2B8-49A5-B579-B66985936EC2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ec34dffa2ed0f4b589c1f1b6a1ba11f5.jpeg

K&W Made Me Do It Skillet Cornbread p 130 -  Here, I learned that Red Weapons are a great addition to cornbread but I don't recommend this particular recipe.  While the flavor is good and I love the crispy edges you get in a skillet cornbread, this one is very dense and oily.  I split the wedges, toasted them and they're not bad along side some beans or greens but I'll try Red Weapons in the Jubilee cornbread instead of making this again!

06124228-8B69-4354-BED1-1AFF0BB2A7C2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.adf028e88cc6dee709e4f7fa5d32bae4.jpeg

084B0F1A-C9C8-4624-B796-949445D44459_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b44ebb3177a1ef4d7a0db20d4a3fd77c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

37 minutes ago, heidih said:

Your mint looks perky for summer - yours or FM?  Your dishes as always inspire & appeal

Thanks!  The mint is from Baltazar Farms in Fillmore, purchased at the local farmers market from Albert Baltazar, seen below with his daughter.   They do a good job keeping the herbs looking perky, even in the hot weather!

364FC4E8-8443-4908-A706-3021733EC97A.thumb.jpeg.34a7baa997e63fc4d1c56c7c5de13bb9.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Working my way through my batch of LGD...when yellow summer squash is thin and tender, I make a raw squash salad by using a Y-peeler to make ribbons and then dressing with some kind of vinaigrette for an hour to soften slightly. Last night I mixed my squash ribbons with a couple of spoonfuls of LGD, a bit of salt/EVOO/rice vinegar and quartered cherry tomatoes. Mixed in some crumbled goat cheese before serving. Very tasty!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought this book a few weeks back after seeing this thread. So far I’m absolutely loving it. Vivienne hasn’t really made much of a splash this side of the pond so I’ve had a good binge watch of her TV series too. 

I love the writing in this book and the format of heroes with a variety of recipes off the back of them works really well. 

So far I’ve done the red weapons (love the fried chicken hot sauce), LGD (great variation on salsa verde), the R rated onions (solely for the gorgeous steak and blue cheese butter recipe). 

But by far my favourite so far is the sauerkraut. I’ve tried a couple of lactoferments in the past with little success. This was a different story though - absolutely love it, and sooooo easy. I’ll be doing this regularly - it’s such a good thing to have in the fridge and chuck into salads and sides, great with my morning sausages at the weekend and it better yet it’s actually good for you!

BC56CEDB-7268-4F64-8E50-6FF664F983CE.jpeg

A095C6AB-F8BD-439B-8DAE-E1113AD388DE.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest adventures with this wonderful book…

I decided to have a go at the Community Organizer base recipe and use it in the broccoli and cheese soup. Having no cheez-its in the house (not sure they even exist over here!) I went with some crisped up little cubes of chorizo. 

Yet another great meal - really deep savoury flavour. I love the fact I’ve now got a load of the base in the fridge too. Will probably have a look at one of the bean dishes using it next. 

F4F53A64-4DBB-4E81-8088-2042D044E87F.jpeg

B9A47C37-E52F-458F-B927-46CB8D199F96.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, &roid said:

I decided to have a go at the Community Organizer

That stuff really does wonders for a simple bowl of beans.  I should make a batch while we’re still getting plenty of good peppers. I tend to reach for Red Weapons for that purpose in the warm weather and Community Organizer when it cools off. Both excellent pantry staples. 

• Like 1

The hardcover version of this book is currently marked down to $15.97 on Amazon Canada and $15.79 on Amazon US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). The Kindle version is more expensive ($19.99 in Canada)! For folks like me who sometimes prefer a hardcopy book, this is a deal. I just ordered one. 

Edited to add: Of course the eG Amazon link always goes to US, what was I thinking? Have corrrected it so there is also an Amazon Canada link. 🙂

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

The hardcover version of this book is currently marked down to $15.97 on Amazon Canada (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and $15.79 on Amazon US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). The Kindle version is more expensive ($19.99 in Canada)! For folks like me who sometimes prefer a hardcopy book, this is a deal. I just ordered one. 

Strangely the Kindle edition is coming up at $14.83 on amazon.ca for me. Perhaps because I have Prime?

edited to add:

No that is not it. I am not even signed in. 

Edited by Anna N
To add additional info (log)
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps because I have Prime?

edited to add:

No that is not it. I am not even signed in. 

I have Prime also, Anna. Not sure about pricing on Amazon. It seems to vary from hour to hour at times. Bizarre. 

I'm still quite happy to get the book though. I find lately I really like hard copies of cookbooks even though most other books I prefer to read digitally! 

Edited to add: My link was to Amazon Canada but it seems to redirect to Amazon US. Not sure I understand that, either. Something to do with the way eGullet redirects it? 

Edited again to add: I added a Canadian link. Of course the eG link goes to Amazon US, that only makes sense. What was I thinking?  🙂

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1