• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "This Will Make It Taste Good", by Vivian Howard

Shelby

Made a half batch of LGD, since I had just the right amt of parsley in the house that needed to be used up. Substituted anchovy paste for the fillets, because I had it. Marinating.

15088AD1-2A84-4063-BC13-19306E1F5670.jpeg

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I too made LGD.

LGD11222020.png

I ran out of energy before the "after" picture.

Turns out I had sufficient oil packed anchovies, barely, and I did not have to open the jar that came today.  (I have a habit of leaving empty anchovy jars in the refrigerator.)  My bedroom is a resource of salt packed anchovies -- what's so damn special about demanding oil packed, Vivian?  The Yellow Bird hot sauce was new for me, but it sounds like a flavor profile that will go well with the recipe.  Serrano is one of my favorite capsicums.  It would help, in my opinion, if Vivian shared the hot sauce brand she uses so that, even if we don't have access to it locally, we could locate something similar.  Hot sauce recipes around the world are quite dissimilar.  Just don't put Tabasco Family Reserve in your apple celery juice.  And then expect rum to make it good.

These Castelvetrano olives are delicious.  I finished off more than a few as I was pitting them.  Sadly the jar does say to refrigerate.  As did the Yellow Bird hot sauce bottle.

Mint turns brown as soon as it is cut.  Vivian did nor call for it but one ingredient I added was 2 grams of ascorbic acid.  So shoot me.

Vivian says to use a food processor.  I am lazy (or more accurately my body starts to fail after standing for too long).  Even so, why would anyone in their right mind use a food processor for this recipe?  Chop the stuff up on a board.  You will thank me.  God created food processors for a purpose.  Little Green Dress is not it.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It must have been one of those weekends because I also made my first batch of LGD. With the arthritis and tendon issues I've got in my hands and wrists, I was more than happy to use a food processor. I did not break out my Cuisinart, but used the bowl/blade attachment for my Braun stick blender. It worked perfectly. I did take a photo, but don't have it on this device (Chromebook) so will try to remember to add it later when I'm on my PC.

I love the olives, but think I now must have 6 open jars of various types of olives in the fridge. ☺️  I tasted it right after I made it, but not since. At that time, I felt like there could have been more anchovy in it, but maybe it will come through today. 

• Like 6

Deb

Liberty, MO

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Even so, why would anyone in their right mind use a food processor for this recipe? 

You are not the first and you will not be the last to question my sanity. Without the food processor there would’ve been no LGD in my house. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Went to Trader Joe’s today and got their kraut with Persian cucumbers. Thank you for mentioning that this could be a substitute for Vivian’s can do kraut! A few more weeks until my citrus shrine is done but I sampled a lemon quarter today... chopped it up and added it to the kraut. Tasted good, hoping my gut bacteria like it too.

Also feeling very lucky that I got to TJ’s early, while I was in the store they were ringing the bells and adding cashiers. When I made my way out, there was a long line of socially distanced people waiting for permission to enter the store (COVID restrictions are tightening back up in Virginia). Still haven’t picked up any Thanksgiving groceries, think I’ll go to the store early tomorrow or see if I can do curbside pickup or delivery.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

You are not the first and you will not be the last to question my sanity. Without the food processor there would’ve been no LGD in my house. 

I am sorry, Anna.  I realize you are more challenged than I.  I assumed what was easier for me was easier for anyone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am sorry, Anna.  I realize you are more challenged than I.  I assumed what was easier for me was easier for anyone.

No worries. I really appreciated the challenge of trying to make the LGD and I have certainly enjoyed using it. I have the Little Pro Cuisinart (from way back when) and I bless it every day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does it need to be dry cleaned?

Nope. Wash in cold water and tumble dry. 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/22/2020 at 9:54 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My bedroom is a resource of salt packed anchovies -- what's so damn special about demanding oil packed, Vivian?

Not all of us sleep in a gourmet foods emporium 🙃 Vivian mentioned making sure ingredients specified were widely available.  No salt packed anchovies at my Walmart, though they do stock black garlic.

It would help, in my opinion, if Vivian shared the hot sauce brand she uses so that, even if we don't have access to it locally, we could locate something similar. 

Food stylists can run amok but I took the photo that accompanies the LGD recipe as a suggestion as to an acceptable hot sauce brand. 

IMG_3349.thumb.jpeg.19dc2bf536f3ed8a27ed0510dc3f7122.jpeg

I used Crystal brand (which always makes me think of its regular appearances on @HungryChris's breakfast table) in my first batch and Inner Beauty in the second.  Inner Beauty is rather distinctive but with everything else going on in there, I didn't taste a huge difference.  

Even so, why would anyone in their right mind use a food processor for this recipe?

Making no attestations as to the rightness of my mind, I used a food processor to make LGD.  Huh, I thought, as I read the recipe, I'd normally just use a knife but, just this once, I'll follow the recipe and use the food processor.  And, dang, if I didn't think it worked a treat.  So much so that when I made my second batch, I used the processor again.   My first choice was slightly influenced by the ginormous bunches of herbs laid out next to a chef's knife in need of sharpening but the second batch was all about the ease.  And, sane or not, I'm one who will happily use a knife to cut dozens of carrots into fine julienne rather than shred them with any device. 

God created food processors for a purpose.

Do tell, why did she create them?

Edited to add that while I was happy to use mine for LGD, I honestly think that food processors are the work of the devil.  They are such a pain to clean that I'll almost always turn to a knife or blender instead.  I believe that if God herself had been involved, we would have something much better. 

Last night's dinner was a variation of the Naked Burgers with a Cheese Toupee & Spinach Crown p 21, featuring LGD

IMG_3346.thumb.jpeg.fa3d1a60d888fee9b5c1d260cc3d639b.jpeg

These are pork burgers, distinctively seasoned with cumin, topped with Swiss cheese, charred red onion and spinach that's sautéed in olive oil and butter with garlic, mushrooms and mixed with a scoop of LGD before it goes on the burger. 

The recipe makes 8 oz burgers and serves them on a plate.  I went with 4 oz and put mine on a bun.  I forgot to buy mushrooms so I melted a slice of the double-mushroom butter from Six Seasons into the pan with the garlic before wilting the greens.  I subbed arugula for spinach as it needed to be used.

I really enjoyed this.  Loved the charred onion.  The combination of LDG and butter is just as green vegetable-friendly here as in the asparagus recipe.  The cumin in the burger was interesting and made me think these would be good made with lamb. Vivian suggests turkey or beef as alternative meats.

I've got another burger shaped so I'll try to get some mushrooms and have that one without a bun. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

I completely missed that picture of the Tabasco bottle.  I even have Tabasco on the shelf (though my Tabasco is Family Reserve).  However I can't help but notice she seems to be chopping her parsley on a block.

As mentioned somewhere I added LGD to a batch of ranch.  Served with APO chicken and romaine.  Usually I don't crave the same meal two nights in a row, but so it was.

• Like 4

As an aside -  if you have a mezzaluna - with my hand issues along with my distaste for doing dishes - magic with herbs and other things  if good & sharp. No smoosh/tear/annihilate

Continuing my exploration of This Will Make It Taste Good, I made the Do Try This at Home Tartare p 117 which features Red Weapons p 104

I used black cod (sablefish) and it was excellent.

1342436137_IMG_3353(1).thumb.jpeg.c46bd54291ae7fdd2dba201176987492.jpeg

I bought a piece of fresh, local black cod at the farmers market and trimmed it into 2 slabs to be cooked later and the thinner tail portion that I used here.  I followed the recipe, except for using cilantro instead of mint.  

Served with homemade whole grain crackers.

I had a little more cod than the 2 oz/single serving I planned for this recipe so I tossed the rest with some Little Green Dress.  That was good, but the Red Weapons version, per the book, was great! 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, heidih said:

As an aside -  if you have a mezzaluna - with my hand issues along with my distaste for doing dishes - magic with herbs and other things  if good & sharp. No smoosh/tear/annihilate

I used my Lamson Ulu knife.

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I used my Lamson Ulu knife.

Same concept - can't find my pretty one with granite handle from Alaska. The one gift from ex I actually liked.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I have the same brand of olives. Sometimes they last me two days. They’re my favorite. Although in my fridge the olive oil in the jar does congeal a bit. 

I let my Little Green Dress sit out for a while tonight.

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I let my Little Green Dress sit out for a while tonight.

It des congeal. There is also the trend of using the brine to "brine" chicken. 

Tonight I put LGD on pasta.  I thought the flavor was too sharp, that is, too acidic to work as a pesto.  But then I mixed it with some leftover tomato based meat sauce and I thought the result was pretty good.

Not as exceptional as adding it to ranch however.

• Like 5