• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "This Will Make It Taste Good", by Vivian Howard

Shelby

Rats !

#$%)R(*$R%Y_   !!!

Im convinced that LGD  might go well as the ' sauce ' on some

BB_Campanelle_pp.png.025474bf7fbf0d21b08bf3136d65d59c.png

I know I'm right.  but ....

Target has the olives , and will ship , but they are not pitted.  bummer.

Walmart has the olives and they are pitted , but they won't ship them.

pick up only.   maybe they just don't ship glass containers .    Bummer x 2 .

so Target  its going to be.

**  sigh **

RocheBro   , a store I Blitz for time to time

does not seem to have them.   Ill call pre-Blitz

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Rats !

#$%)R(*$R%Y_   !!!

Im convinced that LGD  might go well as the ' sauce ' on some

BB_Campanelle_pp.png.025474bf7fbf0d21b08bf3136d65d59c.png

I know I right.  but ....

Target has the olives , and will ship , but they are not pitted.  bummer.

Walmart has the olives and they are pitted , but they won't ship them.

pick up only.   maybe they just don't ship glass containers .    Bummer x 2 .

so Target  its going to be.

**  sigh **

RocheBro   , a store I Blitz for time to time

does not seem to have them.   Ill call pre-Blitz

I agree.  I think it would be excellent tossed with pasta.  Add a bit of parm.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Amazon has them, but they are pricey. 

Lol. If you want to know pricey check out amazon.ca!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1DC6A821-E8E8-4FA1-B48A-584E037CE49F.thumb.jpeg.6e1a7a87ff1afb0dc68fd87b6b6caf01.jpeg

Well I have the olives – – not from Amazon! And I have some LGD — both courtesy of @Kerry Beal! Where she finds the time I do not know. I suspect she has learned to create time where there was none before. 

Edited by Anna N
Just being picky. (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Chocolate Doctor Who.

Teo

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shouldn't that be Chocolate Doctor Strange?

Or Chocolate Doctor, Time Lord.  😉

• Like 2

OK.  Here's my first big LGD failure:

IMG_3278.jpeg.f8f9d55ab6629b6f22cadfc347374120.jpeg

Vivian says this stuff keeps in the fridge for a month and it's gone already!

But, not to worry, I made more. I wanted to use it as a pizza topping, as Vivian suggests on the LGD "No Brainers" page.

Alas, my kitchen was only about 60°F this morning and my pizza dough looked dead so I took my pizza ingredients and @rotuts pasta idea and made this LGD-dressed cavatappi with asparagus, red bell pepper and feta:

1168212958_IMG_3276(2).jpeg.24a4a2a759882ef3947c59235e62d894.jpeg

This was very good.  I tossed the pasta and veg with some of the LGD-green butter and added a few extra spoons of LGD. 

I sampled it with Parmesan, goat cheese and feta.  Feta was the winner for me and while I had this warm, the acidity makes it very well suited to a room-temp pasta salad sort of thing. Maybe even with the dreaded bow-tie pasta 🙃

Moving into the afternoon, with some warmth from the sun, my pizza dough began showing signs of life so I shaped it and spread some LGD over the top:

IMG_3280.jpeg.3ceed707b16cf32d4d246077f3e97e43.jpeg

I added a sprinkle of mozzarella, asparagus, red bell peppers and, near the end of baking, a sprinkle of feta:

IMG_3281.jpeg.3ac579a8b21773b2dd0d5607c5b88276.jpeg

This was very good, too.  The mozzarella and LGD made friends in the best possible way!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

6E5B5589-A18D-456B-89D0-08B34F01DC7C.thumb.jpeg.40e8eb8506cae1e94ae28e96e1ed88ff.jpeg

Not a chance in hell that I’m going to eat a tuna salad but a salmon salad with some LGD was doable. As for the olives, I have to agree that even someone who doesn’t like olives would tolerate these. I don’t know if that is a compliment or not. 

I don’t want to be the one person who is being disagreeable but truth be told I am not convinced that LGD is even close to being life-changing. The mint comes through loud and clear but not much else. I will try it on a couple of other things before I conclude that my taste buds are not up to the task.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not a chance in hell that I’m going to eat a tuna salad but a salmon salad with some LGD was doable. As for the olives, I have to agree that even someone who doesn’t like olives would tolerate these. I don’t know if that is a compliment or not. 

I don’t want to be the one person who is being disagreeable but truth be told I am not convinced that LGD is even close to being life-changing. The mint comes through loud and clear but not much else. I will try it on a couple of other things before I conclude that my taste buds are not up to the task.

What did you think of the Castelvetrano olives?  Do they get tossed into the same bucket of unpalatability as other green olives?  Edited to add:  Nevermind, I went back and saw your comment!

Since you've got the stuff in your fridge, and if you are still open to trying it on a few other things, I recommend that green butter on asparagus or another green vegetable of your preference.  Given @Kerry Beal's positive potato experience, you might try that, either hot, or per Vivian's suggestion as a potato salad.  Finally, I think you've made the Momofuku ranch dressing so I'd be very curious how the LGD goes ranch version compares.  I think the butter, potato or ranch dressing components might mellow the flavors a bit.  Ditto for a cheese toastie or grilled cheese type thing. 

I didn't think LGD was going to be of much interest to someone with rather selective tolerance for 2 of the main ingredients but I'm glad you were able to try it out through the efforts of the good Dr. Beal and to report back on your findings!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

OK.  Here's my first big LGD failure:

IMG_3278.jpeg.f8f9d55ab6629b6f22cadfc347374120.jpeg

Vivian says this stuff keeps in the fridge for a month and it's gone already!

But, not to worry, I made more. I wanted to use it as a pizza topping, as Vivian suggests on the LGD "No Brainers" page.

Alas, my kitchen was only about 60°F this morning and my pizza dough looked dead so I took my pizza ingredients and @rotuts pasta idea and made this LGD-dressed cavatappi with asparagus, red bell pepper and feta:

1168212958_IMG_3276(2).jpeg.24a4a2a759882ef3947c59235e62d894.jpeg

This was very good.  I tossed the pasta and veg with some of the LGD-green butter and added a few extra spoons of LGD. 

I sampled it with Parmesan, goat cheese and feta.  Feta was the winner for me and while I had this warm, the acidity makes it very well suited to a room-temp pasta salad sort of thing. Maybe even with the dreaded bow-tie pasta 🙃

Moving into the afternoon, with some warmth from the sun, my pizza dough began showing signs of life so I shaped it and spread some LGD over the top:

IMG_3280.jpeg.3ceed707b16cf32d4d246077f3e97e43.jpeg

I added a sprinkle of mozzarella, asparagus, red bell peppers and, near the end of baking, a sprinkle of feta:

IMG_3281.jpeg.3ac579a8b21773b2dd0d5607c5b88276.jpeg

This was very good, too.  The mozzarella and LGD made friends in the best possible way!

BD, you always make EVERYTHING look so delicious.  I smeared LGD on TOP of already made pizza the other morning and it was awesome.  I'm glad you tried the pasta.  I really almost made some for lunch but I was too glued to football and figuring out turkey day menu.

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

6E5B5589-A18D-456B-89D0-08B34F01DC7C.thumb.jpeg.40e8eb8506cae1e94ae28e96e1ed88ff.jpeg

Dang, I was really hoping you'd like it.  Maybe mint that is crappy (like mine was) loses some of the minty-ness?  Like BD said, don't give up yet.  Maybe a different use will trip your trigger.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

...LGD.... As for the olives, I have to agree that even someone who doesn’t like olives would tolerate these.

I  read the recipe to husband who also is not an olive fan, and just now your comment.   He agrees with that in the right application and in proper quantity, the olives work.

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn't think LGD was going to be of much interest to someone with rather selective tolerance for 2 of the main ingredients but I'm glad you were able to try it out through the efforts of the good Dr. Beal and to report back on your findings!

Edited 1 hour ago by blue_dolphin (log)

You may not believe me but I really wanted to like this! I truly appreciate what Kerry did and I think she knows it. And I would’ve loved to have told her that  it was the greatest thing I’ve had in sometime. But I just can’t fake it! I will continue to try it. May take me a few days since somebody will have to do some grocery shopping if I’m going to try some of the things you have suggested. But stay tuned. Don’t give up on me yet.

Edited by Anna N
Grammar. (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You may not believe me but I really wanted to like this! I truly appreciate what Kerry did and I think she knows it. And I would’ve loved to have told her that  it was the greatest thing I’ve had in sometime. But I just can’t fake it! I will continue to try it. May take me a few days since somebody will have to do some grocery shopping if I’m going to try some of the things you have suggested. But stay tuned. Don’t give up on me yet.

Oh, I don't doubt you for a minute and am impressed at your willingness to give it a try.   I've been enjoying how easy it is to add a punch of flavor to different things with a spoonful of LGD but if that flavor isn't one that appeals, it's not all that helpful, no matter how easy it is!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1