• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "This Will Make It Taste Good", by Vivian Howard

Shelby

thumbnail_IMG_0017.jpg.6c34269ebe3e58d6f24b5ff26edd9ed1.jpg

Anyone else get this?  Mine came from Amazon yesterday.  I'm about half way through.  It's not near as big as Deep Run Roots, but I'm seeing a lot of things I want to make.  Like DRR, I'll need to wait until next summer when the garden starts making to do many of her recipes.  This book is in a bit of a different format.  I'm definitely going to see if I can find some mint at the Asian Market so I can make her Little Green Dress recipe.....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I'm definitely going to see if I can find some mint at the Asian Market so I can make her Little Green Dress recipe.....

I downloaded a Kindle sample and I can definitely see why you would be excited about this book!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My copy arrived yesterday, too.  I'm so excited!  I just love the concept.  I ordered some of the Red Weapons from her online shop a while back and I'm excited to make my own batch while there are still decent tomatoes at the farmers market. 

The Little Green Dress is on my list, too!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My copy arrived yesterday, too.  I'm so excited!  I just love the concept.  I ordered some of the Red Weapons from her online shop a while back and I'm excited to make my own batch while there are still decent tomatoes at the farmers market. 

The Little Green Dress is on my list, too!

I didn't know she has an online shop!!!!  Do you have a link?  I can google if not.  Never mind, I found it!  :) 

I still have a few tomatoes.....contemplating making a batch of Red Weapons.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I didn't know she has an online shop!!!!  Do you have a link?  I can google if not.  Never mind, I found it!  :) 

I still have a few tomatoes.....contemplating making a batch of Red Weapons.  

I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the jar but .... pandemic ... you know ... I needed a preview of the book 🙃

It's good stuff!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the jar but .... pandemic ... you know ... I needed a preview of the book 🙃

It's good stuff!

If all three "sauces" would have been available, I would have bought them too!  

• Like 1

My copy arrived yesterday too! 

I think I’ll start with her Little Green Dress recipes. The green sauce looks like something you can easily have on hand year round. Looking forward to making the tomato based items next year (unless I can still find some good quality tomatoes).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

How is it, in terms of reading? Similar to DDR or more of a cook book, less than a personal one, if that makes sense? 

Very different from DRR but still a good bit of personal writing. Check out the sample available via Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature to get an idea.

This Will Make It Taste Good (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

How is it, in terms of reading? Similar to DDR or more of a cook book, less than a personal one, if that makes sense? 

I hear her voice come through loud and clear. I don’t really expect to do much cooking from this book (just physical challenges — nothing to do the recipes) but I do know that I will enjoy reading it and probably learn quite a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't help myself.  I had to make a batch of Red Weapons (pg. 104) last night.....I still have a few tomatoes so why not (wondering if I could use my canned tomatoes this winter for this though....). 

I made the recipe exactly as she said (for once I have ginger).  Killed me not to peel the tomatoes......

thumbnail_IMG_0018.jpg.d2109c8fed7282c5672c787f285f1e2c.jpg

The mixture after all of the boiling

thumbnail_IMG_0019.jpg.9a6be2e0780206ff38653af8dc19c790.jpg

And everything stirred together.  Smells heavenly.

thumbnail_IMG_0020.jpg.ffd160541cfe9f05f02d6195eaa19231.jpg

Going to transfer into a big jar to wait the 3 days before they are ready to use.

I really want to make the Pickled Shrimp (pg. 109) but I'm out of shrimp :( .  So leaning towards the Chicken and Grits (pg. 110).

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Killed me not to peel the tomatoes......

I'm laughing so hard at this comment.  When I tried the Red Weapons that I ordered, my first thought was, "Shelby will certainly peel the tomatoes when she makes this!"  🤣😂🤣

Honestly, I think I would peel them, too.  I wasn't in love with the bits of peels in there.

The flavor, though, is great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm laughing so hard at this comment.  When I tried the Red Weapons that I ordered, my first thought was, "Shelby will certainly peel the tomatoes when she makes this!"  🤣😂🤣

Honestly, I think I would peel them, too.  I wasn't in love with the bits of peels in there.

The flavor, though, is great!

Damn it!  Now I wish I would have peeled ---if the non-peelers say they should have then I certainly should have 🤣

• Haha 5

@Shelby 

thank you for starting this thread.   

I was aware that Chef VH was working on another book some time ago

but never kept track.  I just ordered the book.

I try not to buy books , but VH is someone I like to support.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

thank younger starting this thread.   

I was aware that Chef VH was working on another book some time ago

but never kept track.  I just ordered the book.

I try not to buy books , but VH is someone I like to support.

You won't be sorry that you bought it.  It's different than DRR, but still great writing and some innovative recipes.

• Like 1

Ok, so, I know Vivian said to wait 3 days before using the Red Weapons, but I waited a day and a half (plus I left them out of the fridge all Wednesday night like she said I could so I figure that counts as more time lol).  I simply had to make the Grits and Chicken last night (pg. 110)

I don't make grits very often at all and I need to change that.  I knew I had a bag.  I dug through the pantry and found it...I was nervous, but I had exactly a cup which is what this recipe needs.  I quickly ordered more from Amazon that will be here soon.  Anyway,  I had chicken quarters, not thighs so I subbed them.  Otherwise I made the recipe just as she said to.

Red Weapons

thumbnail_IMG_0026.jpg.357006d37458cea2c7fb698f1c67aacf.jpg

I didn't get a great brown on one of the quarters.  Not enough skin was on it, but here is the whole dish before going into the oven.  I was nervous because it was really soupy....

thumbnail_IMG_0028.jpg.acee14e7b4e9f001c8d8434ea35e791c.jpg

But it worked!  I baked it 10 or 15 mins longer than the recipe says, but that was my fault because I didn't heat the CSO up long enough before putting it in.

thumbnail_IMG_0029.jpg.cbcbbc9df780bcca7d3ed743342cd67d.jpg

Definitely will make this again and again.  The RW's give the grits a tangy, bit of spicy goodness that mixes awesome with the juices of the chicken.  The grits on the top have a great texture and the ones underneath are super creamy but light at the same time.  Ronnie is not a grit fan and loved it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The Red Weapons look really good. I don't always like tomato skins, so serious question: how would you peel those small tomatoes? Like the ones in the photo, below. They look like cherry tomatoes. Thanks in advance!

On 10/22/2020 at 4:31 AM, Shelby said:

I couldn't help myself.  I had to make a batch of Red Weapons (pg. 104) last night.....I still have a few tomatoes so why not (wondering if I could use my canned tomatoes this winter for this though....). 

I made the recipe exactly as she said (for once I have ginger).  Killed me not to peel the tomatoes......

thumbnail_IMG_0018.jpg.d2109c8fed7282c5672c787f285f1e2c.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

The Red Weapons look really good. I don't always like tomato skins, so serious question: how would you peel those small tomatoes? Like the ones in the photo, below. They look like cherry tomatoes. Thanks in advance!

Some of those were cherry tomatoes which I wouldn't peel, but most of them were just really small tomatoes.  I run the back of my knife from the top of the tomato down to the bottom all the way around.  That loosens the skin enough that makes it easy to peel.  Takes time, but worth it if you are a skin disliker like me.

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Some of those were cherry tomatoes which I wouldn't peel, but most of them were just really small tomatoes.  I run the back of my knife from the top of the tomato down to the bottom all the way around.  That loosens the skin enough that makes it easy to peel.  Takes time, but worth it if you are a skin disliker like me.

Thanks, @Shelby. When you do the knife thing, do you blanche in advance? I'm guessing you could use a butter knife since you're using the back of the knife? Appreciate your help.

1 minute ago, MokaPot said:

Thanks, @Shelby. When you do the knife thing, do you blanche in advance? I'm guessing you could use a butter knife since you're using the back of the knife? Appreciate your help.

No, I don't blanche first if I use the knife.  You could use a butter knife, but you'd just have to switch to a paring knife, so I'd just use the paring knife to begin with.  Also, I have small hands so a butter knife would be hard for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received my book 

DSC08836.jpg.ea6d069187ba809244725a5c67d64ed2.jpg

just now

Ok an hour ago.

Im a big fan of Chef VH for many reasons 

having viewed the various PBS shows , and studied Deep Run Roots

Chef VH is a bit different than most.

I still see that in this book.  It more glossy 

and a bit more ' produced. ' 

no matter,  a few , glossy pics that have noting to do 

w her ideas and philosophy about ingredients and thinking about them

OK.  so be it.

Ive read several of the Rx's  ,including

Red Weapons 

Im not going to make this any time soon.

but I deeply appreciate how much I might enjoy it

with Chef VH additional insights.

as soon as I get around to making it.

CookBooks do many things for us

sometimes we makes Rx's out of them

and enjoys the chef's insights that go with the technique 

and the ingredients. 

this is a similarly fine book

that complements 

Deep Run Roots,

there is a deep understanding of ingredients , and 

many new ideas here .

and ref : Red Weapons ?

Chef VH points out the Rx did not start as her own 

and went through one or two other chefs

to get to her own version.

who mentions  that these days ?

so

if you don't have Deep Run Roots 

consider it 

and then get this tome also 

you won't regret either

if  just to read and think about these ideas for later.

Cheers

Chef VH

outstanding\ng  book , 

in the same tradition as

Deep Run Roots

cheers again !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10