• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

This morning, I finally got around to making the Quirky Furki p 234 from This Will Make It Taste Good, so that's # 9 of the 10 flavor heroes in the book that I've tried.  

I made half a batch and used bonito flakes instead of dried shrimp.  As @Shelby noted when she made this, the recipe makes a LOT!  I'll make another batch when I get the shrimp but this will last me for a while!

IMG_3664.thumb.jpeg.68b25d075248de3ee54a4b4aa3ef0d6b.jpeg

Per Vivian's suggestion, I left some of the Quirky Furki with bigger chunks and ground some of it more finely.  The toasted sesame seeds getting broken up made the ground stuff smell amazing. 

I used some of each to top the Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes & More p 241, Vivian's take on the basic Chinese scrambled egg with tomato

501567782_IMG_2894(1).thumb.jpeg.3e3d3c488def5642890574010c8eea5f.jpeg

This was very good.  Loved the crunch of the topping, especially the salt & vinegar potato chips.  Using them in the mix is pretty genius.  

Edited to add that the one flavor hero that I haven't made is Sweet Potential p 296, basically fruit preserved in a light syrup that can be made with the fruit of your choice.  I'm not particularly excited about this one, at least with the fruits in season  right now.  I bought some pears to try but they're not at all as crisp as Vivian recommends so I think they'd make a mushy preserve.  I meant to try with Fuyu persimmons back in the fall but never got around to it. Figs or cherries sound like they'd be good but aren't in season. I guess I could try some apples but it doesn't excite me. Has anyone else made this one?

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

This morning, I finally got around to making the Quirky Furki p 234 from This Will Make It Taste Good, so that's # 9 of the 10 flavor heroes in the book that I've tried.  

I made half a batch and used bonito flakes instead of dried shrimp.  As @Shelby noted when she made this, the recipe makes a LOT!  I'll make another batch when I get the shrimp but this will last me for a while!

Per Vivian's suggestion, I left some of the Quirky Furki with bigger chunks and ground some of it more finely.  The toasted sesame seeds getting broken up made the ground stuff smell amazing. 

I used some of each to top the Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes & More p 241, Vivian's take on the basic Chinese scrambled egg with tomato

This was very good.  Loved the crunch of the topping, especially the salt & vinegar potato chips.  Using them in the mix is pretty genius.  

Edited to add that the one flavor hero that I haven't made is Sweet Potential p 296, a sweetened fruit preserve that can be made with the fruit of your choice.  I'm not particularly excited about this one, at least with the fruits in season  right now.  I bought some pears to try but they're not at all as crisp as Vivian recommends so I think they'd make a mushy preserve.  I meant to try with Fuyu persimmons back in the fall but never got around to it. Figs or cherries sound like they'd be good but aren't in season. I guess I could try some apples but it doesn't excite me. Has anyone else made this one?

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin