• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Still in the Citrus Shrine chapter of This Will Make It Taste Good, I made the Rock Me Don't Shake Me Lemon Pie p 167.  I made a half recipe in a 6" pan.

IMG_3631.thumb.jpeg.4bd5795861a7fe00195e662ebd125f43.jpeg

WRT to the book photo, I'd say that citrus rind was not cut into "very fine strips" nor was it whisked into the the custard.  It also looks like more than the amount called for in the recipe.  I reserved some of my citrus rind and sprinkled it on top before going into the oven but it still sank.  

IMG_3633.thumb.jpeg.54b736a7c9774baaaa2f80ba946e7155.jpeg

I should have trusted my instincts that blind-baking a crust direct from the freezer at 325°F for 12 minutes is not sufficient to properly cook the bottom crust so you can see it's not done.  Edited to add: I usually blind bake @ 425° for 8-10 min, then remove the weights and put it back in the oven 'til the bottom starts to brown. 

The custard is nice, I liked the combination of lemon and orange but the flavors are more mellow than tangy and I like tangy. 

Probably not something I'll make again but I do like the idea of using preserved citrus rind in desserts.  The texture is just a little chewy, like a candied rind in syrup but without the candy-like sweetness and during the cooking time, the saltiness seemed to diffuse through out.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Still in the Citrus Shrine chapter of This Will Make It Taste Good, I made the Rock Me Don't Shake Me Lemon Pie p 167.  I made a half recipe in a 6" pan.

IMG_3631.thumb.jpeg.4bd5795861a7fe00195e662ebd125f43.jpeg

WRT to the book photo, I'd say that citrus rind was not cut into "very fine strips" nor was it whisked into the the custard.  It also looks like more than the amount called for in the recipe.  I reserved some of my citrus rind and sprinkled it on top before going into the oven but it still sank.  

IMG_3633.thumb.jpeg.54b736a7c9774baaaa2f80ba946e7155.jpeg

I should have trusted my instincts that blind-baking a crust direct from the freezer at 325°F for 12 minutes is not sufficient to properly cook the bottom crust so you can see it's not done.

The custard is nice, I liked the combination of lemon and orange but the flavors are more mellow than tangy and I like tangy. 

Probably not something I'll make again but I do like the idea of using preserved citrus rind in desserts.  The texture is just a little chewy, like a candied rind in syrup but without the candy-like sweetness and during the cooking time, the saltiness seemed to diffuse through out.