• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 11/22/2020 at 9:54 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My bedroom is a resource of salt packed anchovies -- what's so damn special about demanding oil packed, Vivian?

Not all of us sleep in a gourmet foods emporium 🙃 Vivian mentioned making sure ingredients specified were widely available.  No salt packed anchovies at my Walmart, though they do stock black garlic.

It would help, in my opinion, if Vivian shared the hot sauce brand she uses so that, even if we don't have access to it locally, we could locate something similar. 

Food stylists can run amok but I took the photo that accompanies the LGD recipe as a suggestion as to an acceptable hot sauce brand. 

IMG_3349.thumb.jpeg.19dc2bf536f3ed8a27ed0510dc3f7122.jpeg

I used Crystal brand (which always makes me think of its regular appearances on @HungryChris's breakfast table) in my first batch and Inner Beauty in the second.  Inner Beauty is rather distinctive but with everything else going on in there, I didn't taste a huge difference.  

Even so, why would anyone in their right mind use a food processor for this recipe?

Making no attestations as to the rightness of my mind, I used a food processor to make LGD.  Huh, I thought, as I read the recipe, I'd normally just use a knife but, just this once, I'll follow the recipe and use the food processor.  And, dang, if I didn't think it worked a treat.  So much so that when I made my second batch, I used the processor again.   My first choice was slightly influenced by the ginormous bunches of herbs laid out next to a chef's knife in need of sharpening but the second batch was all about the ease.  And, sane or not, I'm one who will happily use a knife to cut dozens of carrots into fine julienne rather than shred them with any device. 

God created food processors for a purpose.

Do tell, why did she create them?

Edited to add that while I was happy to use mine for LGD, I honestly think that food processors are the work of the devil.  They are such a pain to clean that I'll almost always turn to a knife or blender instead.  I believe that if God herself had been involved, we would have something much better. 

Last night's dinner was a variation of the Naked Burgers with a Cheese Toupee & Spinach Crown p 21, featuring LGD

IMG_3346.thumb.jpeg.fa3d1a60d888fee9b5c1d260cc3d639b.jpeg

These are pork burgers, distinctively seasoned with cumin, topped with Swiss cheese, charred red onion and spinach that's sautéed in olive oil and butter with garlic, mushrooms and mixed with a scoop of LGD before it goes on the burger. 

The recipe makes 8 oz burgers and serves them on a plate.  I went with 4 oz and put mine on a bun.  I forgot to buy mushrooms so I melted a slice of the double-mushroom butter from Six Seasons into the pan with the garlic before wilting the greens.  I subbed arugula for spinach as it needed to be used.

I really enjoyed this.  Loved the charred onion.  The combination of LDG and butter is just as green vegetable-friendly here as in the asparagus recipe.  The cumin in the burger was interesting and made me think these would be good made with lamb. Vivian suggests turkey or beef as alternative meats.

I've got another burger shaped so I'll try to get some mushrooms and have that one without a bun. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

My bedroom is a resource of salt packed anchovies -- what's so damn special about demanding oil packed, Vivian?

Not all of us sleep in a gourmet foods emporium 🙃 Vivian mentioned making sure ingredients specified were widely available.  No salt packed anchovies at my Walmart, though they do stock black garlic.

It would help, in my opinion, if Vivian shared the hot sauce brand she uses so that, even if we don't have access to it locally, we could locate something similar. 

Food stylists can run amok but I took the photo that accompanies the LGD recipe as a suggestion as to an acceptable hot sauce brand. 

I used Crystal brand (which always makes me think of its regular appearances on @HungryChris's breakfast table) in my first batch and Inner Beauty in the second.  Inner Beauty is rather distinctive but with everything else going on in there, I didn't taste a huge difference.  

Even so, why would anyone in their right mind use a food processor for this recipe?

Making no attestations as to the rightness of my mind, I used a food processor to make LGD.  Huh, I thought, as I read the recipe, I'd normally just use a knife but, just this once, I'll follow the recipe and use the food processor.  And, dang, if I didn't think it worked a treat.  So much so that when I made my second batch, I used the processor again.   My first choice was slightly influenced by the ginormous bunches of herbs laid out next to a chef's knife in need of sharpening but the second batch was all about the ease.  And, sane or not, I'm one who will happily use a knife to cut dozens of carrots into fine julienne rather than shred them with any device. 

Do tell, why did she create them?

Edited to add that while I was happy to use mine for LGD, I honestly think that food processors are the work of the devil.  They are such a pain to clean that I'll almost always turn to a knife or blender instead.  I believe that if God herself had been involved, we would have something much better. 

Last night's dinner was a variation of the Naked Burgers with a Cheese Toupee & Spinach Crown p 21, featuring LGD

These are pork burgers, distinctively seasoned with cumin, topped with Swiss cheese, charred red onion and spinach that's sautéed in olive oil and butter with garlic, mushrooms and mixed with a scoop of LGD before it goes on the burger. 

The recipe makes 8 oz burgers and serves them on a plate.  I went with 4 oz and put mine on a bun.  I forgot to buy mushrooms so I melted a slice of the double-mushroom butter from Six Seasons into the pan with the garlic before wilting the greens.  I subbed arugula for spinach as it needed to be used.

I really enjoyed this.  Loved the charred onion.  The combination of LDG and butter is just as greenvegetable-friendly here as in the asparagus recipe.  The cumin in the burger was interesting and made me think these would be good made with lamb. Vivian suggests turkey or beef as alternative meats.

I've got another burger shaped so I'll try to get some mushrooms and have that one without a bun. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Do tell, why did She create them?

I really enjoyed this.  Loved the charred onion.  The combination of LDG and butter is just as greenvegetable-friendly here as in the asparagus recipe.  The cumin in the burger was interesting and made me think these would be good made with lamb. Vivian suggests turkey or beef as alternative meats.