• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added comment on garlic naan

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am hoping somebody will address this. Is it just me? I have read up on sauerkraut making and it seems the smell is a major problem for a lot of people. To put it in context, I love pickled daikon but I absolutely refuse to make it because it smells so bad to me. Even in a well sealed jar it seems to take over my whole refrigerator. Am I being overly sensitive to these smells? 

I can't answer your question regarding being overly sensitive to the smells - maybe you are - but I can tell you that my kraut has never smelled like rotting cabbage unless it really was. Fermentation smells different than rot. Think pickles vs. the garbage left too long. Oh, dear.

Edited to add: I think your garlic naan "pizza" looks delicious!

Smithy

Smithy

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am hoping somebody will address this. Is it just me? I have read up on sauerkraut making and it seems the smell is a major problem for a lot of people. To put it in context, I love pickled daikon but I absolutely refuse to make it because it smells so bad to me. Even in a well sealed jar it seems to take over my whole refrigerator. Am I being overly sensitive to these smells? 

I can't answer your question regarding being overly sensitive to the smells - maybe you are - but I can tell you that my kraut has never smelled like rotting cabbage unless it really was. Fermentation smells different than rot. Think pickles vs. the garbage left too long. Oh, dear.