• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Here's my 2 cents on the LGD.  Aside from anointing the jammy eggs, you are unlikely to end up with a mouthful, or even a significant taste of this stuff on its own.  

It's like a pre-prepped mix of flavorful ingredients that can be a shortcut in recipes with complex flavors like the punchy tuna salad or excellent ranch dressing/dip with no need to chop anything.

You've got shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar, olives, capers, anchovies, parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice and hot sauce but this is an ensemble cast, not a series of solo performances.  As such, all those ingredients contribute something but none of them take over the show.  Unless there is something guaranteed to make you hurl, I'd suggest giving it a try, maybe a half recipe or even less, if you have doubts.

On the Castelvetrano olives, here's an article that sings their praise: Castelvetrano Olives Are the Best Olives, Hands Down.  I do find them more mellow, rich and creamy than the inexpensive pimento-stuffed Manzanillas from the grocery store. I think the color and firm texture of Castelvetrano olives sold with pits is superior to the pitted version but everything's getting pretty mashed here so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of de-pitting them.  I bought a jar of Mezzetta brand pitted Castelvetranos at Walmart but I used a different brand from Whole Foods for the LGD so I can't comment on the former.   I'm sure LGD would be good with most any olive.  Obviously, kalamatas or the like are going to impact the greenness but the flavor will still be good. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Here's my 2 cents on the LGD.  Aside from anointing the jammy eggs, you are unlikely to end up with a mouthful, or even a significant taste of this stuff on its own.  

It's like a pre-prepped mix of flavorful ingredients that can be a shortcut in recipes with complex flavors like the punchy tuna salad or excellent ranch dressing/dip with no need to chop anything.

You've got shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar, olives, capers, anchovies, parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice and hot sauce but this is an ensemble cast, not a series of solo performances.  As such, all those ingredients contribute something but none of them take over the show.  Unless there is something guaranteed to make you hurl, I'd suggest giving it a try, maybe a half recipe or even less, if you have doubts.

On the Castelvetrano olives, here's an article that sings their praise: Castelvetrano Olives Are the Best Olives, Hands Down.  I do find them more mellow, rich and creamy than the inexpensive pimento-stuffed Manzanillas from the grocery store. I think the color and firm texture of Castelvetrano olives sold with pits is superior to the pitted version but everything's getting pretty mashed here so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of de-pitting them.  I bought a jar of Mezzetta brand pitted Castelvetranos at Walmart but I used a different brand from Walmart for the LGD so I can't comment on the former.   I'm sure LGD would be good with most any olive.  Obviously, kalamatas or the like are going to impact the greenness but the flavor will still be good.