• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail-Order or Internet Pancetta

Does anyone know any mail-order or online delis in the UK that sell a good slab of pancetta. At the moment all I've been able to find is the pancetta type lardons that the supermarkets sell.

Thanks

Ian

For mail order esperya.com is the obvious one, although you'd need to buy more to make it worthwhile. If you look towards the bottom of the home page you'll find a button taking you to the English language site.

I see Thom lurking at the bottom of the page - and, being a fellow northener, he's the one to help you with shops.

v

Vanessa,

Well spotted, I was lurking (or possibly even skulking), but I missed your prompt at the time.

Anyhow, shops to get Pancetta from:

To be honest although I went to Uni in the fine city of Liverpool I didn't go in for purchasing a lot of Pancetta (five packets of strange foreign instant noodles for a pound and Warbutons toasties, yes, pancetta, no). I know the city pretty well now, and can't call to mind a decent deli or a food hall in the city centre that could supply you. Possibly there is a more knowlegable Scouser on the board who can advise as to whether the smarter/trendier suburbs have such a thing? (insert your own regionalist gag about paradox of Liverpool and smart suburbs here)

Now, if you were to take the time to whizz down the M62 (come on, it's only 30 minutes) to Manchester I can be of more help.

Selfridges food hall definitely do pancetta, as I've bought some myself. That said, it took a couple of attempts to get the girl behind the counter to understand I wanted to dice it rather than have 'sandwich' style slices.

Beyond that, try some of the delis. Love Saves the Day (Tib St, and now just underneath Deansgate Station too) would have it I would have thought. Also, if you have reason to visit the suburbs rather than the centre try Roma in Whitefield (just off the M60/Whitefield tram stop, and recommended by Nigel Fort); it does good Italian fare including award winning home made ice cream. In Didsbury you should find what you're looking for at Fred's Deli on Lapwing Lane (may have recently changed it's name?), or R&M Deli (home to the ever chatty Bogda) on Burton Road (both nor far from the M60).

Happy hunting.

Cheers

Thom

Edit: Ironically I forgot the internet option... Try www.esperya.com. Great Italian produce.

Edit again: More Ironically still, I've just noticed that Vanessa's post mentioned Esperya anyway. Note to self... Read properly before you reach for your keyboard...

Edited by thom (log)

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Hmmm,

The Roma Deli in Whitefield - Is that still going?

That used to keep me going in my A-Level days (I know the college has been knocked down) with its fantastic sandwiches - The Hot italian sausages being a particular favourite (Although the cheese and the ham were pretty good, as you would expect)

You can pop into the Church for a pint of Holts' as well!

Sorry, not very helpful on the Pancetta front, just reminiscing!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Yep,

Not just "going" but "thriving". Considering the amount of residential development they are doing around the Church Lane/Ringley Rd area (pokey 3 bed town houses in North Manchester - £220k!) I think it's only going to do better business still.

Their Minestrone soup is still smashing too.

I take it you went to Stand College? I've just employed a girl who went there, and she was also reminiscing about skiving in free periods having coffee, ice cream and soup (though not in the same bowl).

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

My parents still live in Radcliffe (That hasn't gone particularly upmarket!) I'll have to pop down into Whitefield next time I'm home, Manchester as a whole seems to be looking up from 5/6 years ago. I live in Hampshire now, so 220k for a three bedroom house seems fairly normal.

Yep, I went to Stand College, although my free periods tended to be based in the wheatsheaf or the church (Didn't mind you taking in sandwiches, and Holts' Bitter was about 96p a pint)

Unfortunately the best Deli near me now is in Winchester - which is fine, the problem is it is owned by James Martin, and I can't cope with the 'Ready Steady Cook' association!

I love animals.

They are delicious.