• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving USA 2020

Kim Shook

10 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

@SmithyYes that's the one and I've made it every year since 1995, either for 🦃Day or Christmas.  I substitute vanilla for the almond extract, always have.  

Makes me wish I'd gotten more cranberries! I promised the family's traditional walnut/cranberry/orange salad. I'll have to try that recipe another time.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The other day, Eva on Pasta Grammar put her own Italian twist on a Thanksgiving dinner.  You can read the recipes and watch the episode at this link.

I'm intrigued by her cranberry relish, Caponata di Mirtilli Rossi.  Pretty much everything you'd put in a caponata with cranberries and apples subbing in for the eggplant.  Ingredients are: cranberries, apples, celery, onion, tomato, capers, pine nuts, raisins, kalamata olives, tomato paste, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, S&P.

Sounds like it would be good with cheese or sandwiches.  I'm not having a turkey but I think I'll try it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanksgiving update: Bird is spatchcocked and has been brining in the fridge since last night. Pumpkin pie and cranberry salad made yesterday. Today, made the liquor store run (rose is chilling in the fridge), picked up the dressing and made a last-minute Kroger stop. And got dog food, and had a flat, and ordered two new tires to be put on next week, which I needed anyway.

Came home, made the sweet potato casserole, got that in the fridge; cooking the green beans for the green bean casserole the kids want. Will make that casserole and the corn casserole for cooking tomorrow, and make the butter cake. I have a lone persimmon left; am contemplating making a small persimmon custard over a base of crumbled gingersnaps, just because. Don't have to make gravy because the folks who make the dressing inadvertently gave me chicken and dressing, which comes with a pint of gravy. May use the stock I did in the IP from turkey backbone, neck and ribs and make some giblet gravy for me. Will likely make some deviled eggs tonight to be filled tomorrow.

Tomorrow all I have to do is roast the turkey, make the rolls, prep the asparagus, and then about 2 p.m., start rotating the casseroles through the oven. Oh, and make the mac and cheese.

Friday I'll make curry spread to use on leftover turkey sandwiches, and probably break down the bird to vac-seal and freeze extra meat and make stock of the carcass for the freezer.  And that will be all I'll do Friday.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Okay, let's see if anyone can come up with a menu as short as this one; we are two on Thursday.

Cocktail. TBD

Apps: whatever rises to the top of the drawer in the fridge. Kohlrabi in paper-thin slices w sea salt. Nuts? I have to say that deviled eggs sounds awfully appealing; maybe that will happen, probably not. Save it for next week when pickings are slim.

Whole roast 11 lb. turkey and gravy

Roasted Melting potatoes with roasted green chiles

Fennel salad

Cranberry-orange fresh relish

Sweet Potato Pie that DOES NOT INCLUDE PUMPKIN PIE SPICES. Fluid schedule: We are baking it today! In other words, leftover pie for thanksgiving.

Prep today: pie. James Beard red wine roux for making tomorrow's gravy. Home baked Pullman loaves for sandwiches, breakfast toast, etc.

Friday: going to the family beach house to have lunch with BIL, SiL and their daughter. Extend the table that accommodates 15 in a crunch and spread ourselves out  6 feet apart at least. We bring up leftover turkey, which they don't all eat, and cranberry relish. They will make some kind of veg entree. My SIL is a terrible baker and is going to make pumpkin pie which I won't eat because I really don't like pumpkin pie or pumpkin anything, but the three of them seem to require it.

This will be a rare social event, since we are not sheltering with them, but the drive is short and we won't be in contact with any other humans, only their cat, who is not an endearing creature, if I do say so myself. Shh. And I have a secret. I am liking a tiny no big-deal Thankgiving. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

And I have a secret. I am liking a tiny no big-deal Thankgiving.

And did you think we would miss this?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am making my stock and turkey thighs based on a recent ATK episode. The thighs are braised, skin side up, in the stock makings on the first day; removed, allowed to cool and kept in the refrigerator overnight. The thighs will be finished in the oven tomorrow to crisp the skin.

Ready to make the stock fixings.

72E15421-6B4D-4515-AA79-80DC80DB45F2.thumb.jpeg.ccc9cdb5bcca63158b61f459d562ee0c.jpeg

Fixings prepped and in the roasting pan. When the vegetables have softened, chicken broth, water and dry white wine are added.

18E1CA19-5D8B-44F6-BDB4-A5B81FE4B661.thumb.jpeg.3c4f7dc67508255619f6f835af624ca5.jpeg

The thighs are salted and peppered top and bottom.

BBA233F0-7AD6-46CE-AD99-E8F0A4083C59.thumb.jpeg.be077a9457d10cda45ccd9159a482af0.jpeg

The thighs are added to the stock makings, covered with parchment paper and then foil,

AF571A38-BC6B-407A-980E-71B193634903.thumb.jpeg.4e6f2420d4aac8af959d043777be38ca.jpeg

and braised at 325F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and are done when they reach 170F.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You're definitely not alone!

Maybe we are beginning to learn the real meaning of our celebrations and beating yourself up in the kitchen doesn’t have to be part of them.  As we find ourselves unable to gather with those we love, the real meaning pushes through. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou, perhaps many “thous”. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, one of the fun things about only the two of us is that if I peter out tomorrow on one of my planned dishes, who cares?  Also, I'm making waaaaay too much food, but it will be fun to have leftovers!  We never take any from the inlaws.

Sous vide turkey breast

Roasted turkey quarters

Mashed potatoes

I have frozen rolls, but I might not bust those out....

Creamed onions (new..shouldn't do a new recipe but heck..)

Gravy

Stuffing

Corn pudding

Blue cheese, mushroom green bean tart

Lobster Mac and cheese (bought from Goldbelly--expensive, but I wanted it and it's 2020 AND it comes in cute ceramic ramekins)

Piecaken (bought from Goldbelly--again I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist). Layers of pecan pie, pumpkin pie and apple spice cake

I'm setting some of my favorite cheese out overnight to get nice and runny--making a cheese/meat/olive platter to snack on during the day.  Deviled eggs too.

• Like 11

Update 2: Green bean casserole made; two quarts of turkey stock in the freezer, one in the fridge in the event I want to make real gravy tomorrow. Corn thawing (taking that corn a damn long time to thaw) so I can get corn casseroles put together before bed. Note to self: Do NOT try again to make butter cake in anything other than a 9 x 13. Brownie pan (the one with the individual wells) -- nada. Top cooks over, spreads out, nothing left. Mini-loaf-pan, also nada. Same thing, just not as bad. Added to tomorrow's agenda, dash back to Kroger, get conf. sugar and a bag of the real stuff, as I ran out today, come back and make another butter cake the way God and the recipe say to do it. 

I figure I can snug that in between getting the bird on to roast and letting the rolls proof the first time, and starting to cycle the other things through the oven.

I failed to note in the previous post that I discovered a couple from church (our music director and pianist, both of whom have significant health conditions and are staying put) who were not planning to celebrate Thanksgiving. I had called her yesterday to check on her plans, because I wanted to take them some cranberry salad, since they liked it so much last year when I took it to a potluck. She told me her daughter and son-in-law were not coming, and "we'll probably eat bologna sandwiches and watch TV." Oh, no, that won't do.

So I am, as I prepare ahead, making up separate aluminum two-portion dishes with all the sides, with instructions on the paper tops as to how long they need to cook, along with desserts and some sliced turkey and some rolls,  and will deliver it to them tomorrow so they can finish the sides and eat when they wish. She was sort of resistant, "I hate for you to go to the trouble, I wish there was something I could do to pay you back." My response was, wait and stay healthy until these times are over, then come back to church and bless us with that gorgeous music, and we're even.

Pretty much what life is, isn't it? You give, because you have, and you get back, whether you need it or not, but quite honestly, you probably do

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It’s just my son and I.  My son wants ham, I want turkey.  He wants au gratin potatoes and dressing.  Ordered groceries for pick up yesterday.  I ordered a small fresh turkey breast, they called and said they were out.  I blithely said they could substitute any other fresh breast.  Ended up with a full organic breast at almost triple the price.  Think I will resume doing my own shopping as they forgot a few items as well.  Making pecan pie in a couple of 7 inch cast iron skillets tonight, otherwise nothing has been done in advance. We probably won’t eat until late afternoon.

• Like 5

E0FA962F-CE9C-4E13-B069-72B4BCCE18EC.thumb.jpeg.1ae3a5898b724efb36e0c12540ccb63e.jpeg

Thighs out of the oven and out of the stock. I pulled the pan at 2 1/2 hours and should have done it much earlier. They temped at over 200F. I would say they are over done (falling off the bone). Now, they will be allowed to cool and then into the fridge overnight. Defatting the stock - will make gravy tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

All I prepared today are the toasted bread cubes for the dressing. Worked a half day, ran to the market for a few items, wound up making risotto for dinner and lost interest in further cooking.

The 2 of us are having bone in turkey breast, dressing with caramelized onions and kale (new recipe), roasted or pan browned brussels, twice baked potatoes, gravy, cranberry from the can. Ice cream for dessert. I am cooking enough for 8 people, I think...leftovers are welcome.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

It's just the two of us, but we like leftovers, so we're having:

Roast chicken on a bed of parsnips, carrots, and potatoes

Gravy

Dressing (Southern style, with gizzards)

Deviled eggs

Cranberry sauce

Green beans sauteed with shallots

Pumpkin Pie from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book recipe

Candied yams w/ marshmallows (Southern style)

• Like 3

I’m in awe of all the work you guys are doing! 

I never really ate turkey much growing up— we had it but my dad is allergic to all forms of poultry so I’d either eat Prime Rib or later split lobsters with him. Eventually we took to going out for thanksgiving. 

My parents are too scared of COVID and rightfully so (my husband goes to PT twice a week) so we are alone this Thanksgiving. St. Louis style ribs will be smoked on the BGE. Sides tbd. I will make a charcuterie platter for watching football while the ribs smoke. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m in awe of all the work you guys are doing! 

I never really ate turkey much growing up— we had it but my dad is allergic to all forms of poultry so I’d either eat Prime Rib or later split lobsters with him. Eventually we took to going out for thanksgiving. 

My parents are too scared of COVID and rightfully so (my husband goes to PT twice a week) so we are alone this Thanksgiving. St. Louis style ribs will be smoked on the BGE. Sides tbd. I will make a charcuterie platter for watching football while the ribs smoke. 

I think it's fun to do non-traditional foods for Thanksgiving.....if we were to be just the two of us next year, I'd do something like lasagna.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Shelby said:

Well, one of the fun things about only the two of us is that if I peter out tomorrow on one of my planned dishes, who cares?  Also, I'm making waaaaay too much food, but it will be fun to have leftovers!  We never take any from the inlaws.

Sous vide turkey breast

Roasted turkey quarters

Mashed potatoes

I have frozen rolls, but I might not bust those out....

Creamed onions (new..shouldn't do a new recipe but heck..)

Gravy

Stuffing

Corn pudding

Blue cheese, mushroom green bean tart

Lobster Mac and cheese (bought from Goldbelly--expensive, but I wanted it and it's 2020 AND it comes in cute ceramic ramekins)

Piecaken (bought from Goldbelly--again I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist). Layers of pecan pie, pumpkin pie and apple spice cake

I'm setting some of my favorite cheese out overnight to get nice and runny--making a cheese/meat/olive platter to snack on during the day.  Deviled eggs too.

I'm also doing creamed onions today, adding peas in and a very cheesey bechamel sauce.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I'm also doing creamed onions today, adding peas in and a very cheesey bechamel sauce.

Oooooh I love creamed peas!  Didn't cross my mind to do both together....thank you!

• Like 1

Holy Mole'.....finally!   It will go in the instant pot with turkey thighs later today.  You can see the recipe(s)---don't try to follow!  I used the ingredients (mostly) from one, but it didn't like their instructions (way too much oil and frying).  So based on prior mole's I have made (but not for years), I culled directions from a few other recipes.  Happy with the results, so that's all that matters 🦃

holy mole.jpg

molerecipe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3