• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

GREAT JOB, @Shelby!

1108172053_Relishtrayenhanced11-25.thumb.jpeg.abfa9eeda887f8b30e8d86e7961abf7f.jpeg

Enhanced relish tray with one poached wild gulf shrimp for Significant Eater (I ate my shrimp in the kitchen).

Brussels sprouts with bacon - for the first time cooking them this way, I sliced the brussels sprouts, and they were better. (I saw a Jacques video earlier in the week and went for it).

Stuffing for two outside the tiny birds.  Melissa Clark's stuffing for two. Delicious, I have to say.

1966031588_Stuffing11-26.thumb.jpeg.8739c252976ef8922e1c207fc1d03461.jpeg

Roasted sweet potatoes. (I saw a Jacques video earlier in the week and went for it).

Pan roasted and then oven roasted partridges.

As I discussed with a friend last night (ex post facto), I am not the greatest cooker of these small "game" birds. To begin with, Sig Eater doesn't like them, and would never order them in a restaurant, were we at a restaurant where they actually cook them properly. Now, if I had a backyard, and if in that backyard was a grill, I'd love to cook them plainly, heavily salted, and enjoy just the flavor of the bird, salt, and smoke. But no...instead, I have to dick around with them to make sure they're cooked enough so she doesn't run away from the table in horror, and by then the breast is destroyed (for me, at least). Gimme a Joyce Farms' small chicken, and I'm happier (so's she). And I'll defer to letting other people cook small game birds for me.

Ice cream. Homemade.

An American pinot noir. Fairly young. From the Russian River Valley. Natural, as these always have been. Porter Creek.

weinoo

weinoo

GREAT JOB, @Shelby!

1108172053_Relishtrayenhanced11-25.thumb.jpeg.abfa9eeda887f8b30e8d86e7961abf7f.jpeg

Enhanced relish tray with one poached wild gulf shrimp for Significant Eater (I ate my shrimp in the kitchen).

Brussels sprouts with bacon - for the first time cooking them this way, I sliced the brussels sprouts, and they were better. (I saw a Jacques video earlier in the week and went for it).

Stuffing for two outside the tiny birds.  Melissa Clark's stuffing for two. Delicious, I have to say.

Roasted sweet potatoes. (I saw a Jacques video earlier in the week and went for it).

Pan roasted and then oven roasted partridges.

As I discussed with a friend last night (ex post facto), I am not the greatest cooker of these small "game" birds. To begin with, Sig Eater doesn't like them, and would never order them in a restaurant, were we at a restaurant where they actually cook them properly. Now, if I had a backyard, and if in that backyard was a grill, I'd love to cook them plainly, heavily salted, and enjoy just the flavor of the bird, salt, and smoke. But no...instead, I have to dick around with them to make sure they're cooked enough so she doesn't run away from the table in horror, and by then the breast is destroyed (for me, at least). Gimme a Joyce Farms' small chicken, and I'm happier (so's she). And I'll defer to letting other people cook small game birds for me.

Ice cream. Homemade.

An American pinot noir. Fairly young. From the Russian River Valley. Natural, as these always have been. Porter Creek.