• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crumbs! A history of biscuits in 15 fantastic facts

liuzhou

Crumbs! A history of biscuits in 15 fantastic facts – from flatulence cure to phenomenal fuel

Of course, we are not talking American biscuits here, but what you quaint people call cookies, but we call biscuits because that is their name and cookies are what you call god knows what! 😁

• Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Honey. I will treat you to breakfast at Bryant's in Memphis, should you ever deign to grace the colonies with your presence. And I will SHOW you biscuits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Crumbs! A history of biscuits in 15 fantastic facts – from flatulence cure to phenomenal fuel

Of course, we are not talking American biscuits here, but what you quaint people call cookies, but we call biscuits because that is their name and cookies are what you call god knows what! 😁

Thank you for a fun read. A cure for flatulence, really? Won’t stop me eating Digestives.   

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the article.  The picture of the (ahem) cookies at the top of the article reminds me of the tins of cookies sold at Christmas.  I can't remember for sure, but I think they are often called Belgian cookies.

That was an interesting and fun read.  Being raised by and with British people, I tend to go back and forth between "biscuit" and "cooky".  And I'm not even sure what my own criterion is!  Apparently "cookies" are now known in the UK.  According to The Great British Baking Show a biscuit is crisp, while a cooky is chewy.