• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen yogurt in a... meat grinder?!

AngelicLiar

Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of frozen yogurt and have tried making it at home in various tools - food processor, Vitamix, immersion blender etc - and none of them get quite the texture I'm familiar with from commercial frozen yogurt machines.

I've recently stumbled across a cheap, plastic as-seen-on-TV product called Swirlio, which claims to be a machine for making frozen yogurt, but is also obviously a cheap plasticky as-seen-on-TV product that will likely break sooner rather than later.

However, when I looked at a video review of it, I noticed that it seems to operate on a principle similar to a meat grinder - it has an impeller that squeezes the fruit into a small vent, and they are crushed/squeezed rather than chopped.

Link to the specific disassembly part of the video - https://youtu.be/JnnYYdBLG98?t=241

I don't have a meat grinder, but this could be a good excuse for me to get a meat grinding attachment for my stand mixer :)

Has anyone ever tried making frozen yogurt in a meat grinder? Does it really work better than a blender?

Interesting. I'm not sure what texture you are after, but I think you will have something tasty nevertheless. I would be careful not to break it tough - make sure your base is fatty-sugary enough, or slightly defrost it.

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

97F outside.    Today's lunch = frozen yogurt, made to husband's specs, as he chases the ones he's enjoyed in France.

VERY SIMPLE:     1 quart Fage 2% plain yogurt; 3/4 cup sugar; 1/3 cup corn syrup.   Freeze in our ancient Simco.

147313082_ScreenShot2022-08-25at11_29_29AM.thumb.png.c3fdfc12ad48657fc8f360296d0d10cf.png

Exquisite texture.   A little sweet for  me but exactly what he was aiming for.    Will be interested in how it sets up in the freezer.   Hopefully, the corn syrup with mitigate its turning into a brick.

eGullet member #80.