• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Monte announces pink-fleshed pineapple...

chromedome

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Current pineapples are not complex and sweet enough with an acid element? That is their beauty. Good grief Charlie Brown. Throw money at a need you create. How dumb do they think consumers are?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

It's like Monsanto slipped Del Monte a mickey and this is the result.

Bayer bought Monsanto. Amy Schorr was the procurement coordinator for Bayer and is now sourcing manager for Del Monte. Tangled webs. (per her LinkedIn page)

I don't mind new-ish developments in fruits. The Honeycrisp apple (delicious, IMO) was developed in a research center at the University of Minnesota, U.S.

Seems like you only hear about new fast foods. (I like fast foods, too.) So, it's nice to hear about interest in fruits.

No, I won't spend $49 for one pineapple, but I'll try it when the price comes down.

Broccoflower, I didn't like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

The Honeycrisp apple (delicious, IMO)

I do agree with this 100%, I'm not even particularly crazy about apples but those Honeycrisps are amazing, utterly addicting, like pistachios in apple form. I'm not at all averse to new flavors and genetics in produce, especially when they come up with something truly special like the Honeycrisp. But this pink pineapple looks a lot like a square watermelon, if you get what I'm saying.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Yiannos said:

I feel like the whole world is going this way, where companies create ideas and then work to convince people they absolutely have to have these things.

In fairness, the laser was once derided as "a problem in search of a solution." A few years before that, it was thought that the world market for computers might max out at 6 to 12 machines. They could be a mainstream product in a few years, who knows? The pineapple equivalent of a Honeycrisp apple, as opposed to this year's square watermelon.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

In fairness, the laser was once derided as "a problem in search of a solution." A few years before that, it was thought that the world market for computers might max out at 6 to 12 machines. They could be a mainstream product in a few years, who knows? The pineapple equivalent of a Honeycrisp apple, as opposed to this year's square watermelon.

I think I'd be more with you if there was a purported benefit or problem they claimed the pink pineapple addresses.  Is there? 🍍🍍

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

Doubt it. We have plenty of pineapple varieties.  I abhor pink - so off putting. Wonder if it bleeds like a beet? I remember when Del Monte came out with the Gold - I did buy it as they competitively priced it. Kids liked the sweetness; I thought it too one note.  https://www.supermarketnews.com/archive/del-monte-goes-gold-new-pineapple   More recently in 2018 they launched this one with a, to me, nonsense rationale.  I assumed most were via container ship but there is Air Pineapple  https://farmfolio.net/articles/air-pineapple-soars-past-shipment-record-in-panama/#:~:text=By using air freight to,the lengthy transatlantic shipping process.

• Like 1